Origin and History
The regiment was raised on July 22, 1715 in Berkshire by Colonel Phineas Bowles to crush the Jacobite Rising against George I. It ranked 12th among the dragoon regiments.
In 1718, the regiment was placed on the Irish establishment and stationed in Ireland.
On July 1, 1751, when a Royal warrant reorganised the British cavalry, the regiment was designated as the "12th Regiment of Dragoons".
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 1756 until 1763: Major-General Sir Whiteford
In 1768, the regiment was converted into a Light Dragoons Regiment known as the "12th or Prince of Wales's Regiment of Light Dragoons".
Service during the War
As of May 30, 1759, the regiment was stationed in Ireland and counted 2 squadrons for a total of 180 men. It was not involved in any campaign during the war.
|black tricorne laced silver with a black cockade on the left side
|double breasted red lined white with white buttons and very narrow white buttonholes grouped 2 by
|white with white buttons and very narrow white buttonholes
|white with white knee covers
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols and a musket.
As per the regulation of 1751, the officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- a narrow silver lace at the lapels, cuffs and pockets
- a crimson silk sash worn over the left shoulder
- crimson and gold striped sword knot
- white housings and holster caps laced silver
Sergeants were distinguished by a narrow silver lace on the lapels, cuffs and pockets; a silver aiguillette; a white worsted sash about their waist.
Corporals were distinguished by a narrow silver lace on the cuffs and shoulder strap; white silk aiguillette.
Drummers rode grey horses. They wore white coats lined and turned up with red and laced with a yellow braid with a green stripe. Red waistcoats and breeches.
Drummers wore a mitre cap similar to the grenadier mitre cap but with a lower crown and the tassel hanging behind; white front decorated with a trophy of guidons and drums; little frontal red flap with the White Horse and the motto “Nec aspera terrent”; red backing, white headband with a drum and the rank of the regiment (XII. D.) in the middle part behind.
The drums were of brass with a white forepart carrying the rank of the regiment (XII. D.) in silver characters on a crimson ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk.
The guidons were made of silk, fringed in green and silver, and embroidered in silver. The tassels and cords were of crimson silk and gold mixed.
King's Guidon: crimson field decorated with the rose and thistle conjoined surmounted by a crown. Underneath the central decoration: the king's motto “Dieu et mon Droit”. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a compartment. In the second and third corners: the rank of the regiment (XII. D.) in silver characters on a white ground.
Regimental Guidon: white field with its centre decorated with the rank of the regiment (XII. D.) in silver characters on a crimson ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a red compartment. In the second and third corners: the Rose and Thistle conjoined upon a red ground.
Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
George II: The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Lawson, Cecil C.P.: A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II
Mills, T.F.: Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth through the Way Back Machine
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt, 1989
Wikipedia - 12th Royal Lancers
Digby Smith for additional info on the regiment.