Origin and History
The regiment was raised On July 22 1715 as the “Richard Munden's Regiment of Dragoons” to crush the Jacobite Rising against George I.
On July 1 1751, when a Royal warrant reorganised the British cavalry, the regiment was designated as the "13th Regiment of Dragoons".
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 1756 to 1758: Mostyn
- from 1758 to 1763: Archibald Douglas
In 1783, the regiment was converted into a Light Dragoons Regiment known as the "13th Light Dragoons".
Service during the War
As of May 30 1759, the regiment was stationed in Ireland and counted 2 squadrons for a total of 180 men. It was not involved in any campaign during the war.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced gold with a black cockade on the left side|
|Coat||double breasted red lined light green with yellow buttons and very narrow yellow buttonholes grouped 3 by 3
|Waistcoat||light green with yellow buttons and very narrow yellow buttonholes|
|Breeches||light green with white knee covers|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols and a musket.
As per the regulation of 1751, the officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- a narrow golden lace at the lapels, cuffs and pockets
- a crimson silk sash worn over the left shoulder
- crimson and gold striped sword knot
- light green housings and holster caps laced gold
Sergeants were distinguished by a narrow golden lace on the lapels, cuffs and pockets; a golden aiguillette; a light green worsted sash about their waist.
Corporals were distinguished by a narrow golden lace on the cuffs and shoulder strap; yellow silk aiguillette.
Drummers rode grey horses. They wore light green coats lined and turned up with red and laced with a white braid with a yellow stripe. Red waistcoats and breeches.
Drummers wore a mitre cap similar to the grenadier mitre cap but with a lower crown and the tassel hanging behind; light green front decorated with a trophy of guidons and drums; little frontal red flap with the White Horse and the motto “Nec aspera terrent”; red backing, light green headband with a drum and the rank of the regiment (XIII. D.) in the middle part behind.
The drums were of brass with a light green forepart carrying the rank of the regiment (XIII. D.) in golden characters on a crimson ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk.
The guidons were made of silk, fringed in yellow and silver, and embroidered in silver. The tassels and cords were of crimson silk and gold mixed.
King's Guidon: crimson field decorated with the rose and thistle conjoined surmounted by a crown. Underneath the central decoration: the king's motto “Dieu et mon Droit”. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a compartment. In the second and third corners: the rank of the regiment (XIII. D.) in silver characters on a light green ground.
Regimental Guidon: light green field with its centre decorated with the rank of the regiment (XIII. D.) in silver characters on a crimson ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a red compartment. In the second and third corners: the Rose and Thistle conjoined upon a red ground.
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
George II, The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Lawson, Cecil C. P., A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately does not seem to be online any more)
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt, 1989
Wikipedia - 13th Hussars
Digby Smith for additional info on the regiment.