1756 - Prussian invasion of Saxony – Saxon OOB

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 14:44, 19 December 2014 by RCouture (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1756 - Prussian invasion of Saxony >> Detailed order of battle of the Saxon Army at Pirna in September 1756

Description

In September 1756, the Saxon Army was entrenched in a very strong position at Pirna.

Commander-in-chief: Count Rutowsky

Summary: 24 infantry bns, 7 grenadier bns, 28 cuirassier sqns, 4 light dragoon sqns, 97 pieces, 50 pontoons, for a total of some 20,000 men (excluding generals, adjutants and noncombattants).

Grenadiers Infantry Cavalry under the Chevalier de Saxe
Right Wing Grenadiers
  • 1st Grenadier Brigade under von Crousaz
    • 7th Kurprinzessin (539 men in 1 bn)
    • 1st Bennigsen (2 coys Garde & 2 coys Graf Brühl)
    • 2nd Kavannagh (2 coys Prinz Friedrich August & 2 coys Lubormirsky)
    • 3rd Pforte (2 coys Prinz Xaver & 2 coys Gotha)
Right Wing Infantry under von Rochow assisted by von Minckwitz Right Wing of Cavalry under Fürst von Arnim assisted by von Vitzthum
Left Wing Grenadiers
  • 2nd Grenadier Brigade under von Dieden
    • 4th Götze (2 coys Prinz Maximilian & 2 coys Minckwitz)
    • 5th Milkau (2 coys Königin & 2 coys Rochow)
    • 6th Pfundheller (2 coys Prinz Clemenz & 2 coys 'flanc grenadiers' of the Leibgrenadiergarde)
Left Wing Infantry under von Hardthausen assisted by von Meagher Left Wing of Cavalry under the Fürst von Anhalt assisted by von Plötz

Artillery park (in the middle of the second line) under von Wilster:

  • Artillery (489 men in 4 coys)
  • Hauss-Artillerie (119 in 1 coy)
  • Miners (12 men)
  • Pontoniers (8 men)
  • Engineers (55 men)
  • 12 x 24-pdr guns
  • 27 x 12-pdr guns
  • 4 x 6-pdr guns
  • 4 x 24-pdr howitzers
  • 50 x 6-pdr battalion guns
  • 50 tin pontoons

The Fortress of Sonnenstein was occupied by 125 men under the command of Lieutenant-General von Rochow.

The Town of Pirna was occupied by the garrison companies of Wittenberg (354 men in 4 coys), Pleissenburg (115 men in 1 coy), Waldheim (176 men in 1 coy) and Sonnenstein (125 men in 1 coy); totalling 770 men.

The Fortress of Königstein was occupied by 195 men (mostly commandeered grenadiers) under the command of Lieutenant-General von Pirch.

Unrecorded: Cadet (155 men in 1 coy)

References

Großer Generalstab, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen. Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763, Vol. 5, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Berlin, 1901-1914

Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, pp. 219-220, Appendix 8 and 9