1761 - French campaign in Western Germany
From Project Seven Years WarJump to navigationJump to search
Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Campaigns >> 1761 - French campaign in Western Germany
The campaign lasted from April to December 1761
Description of Events
This article rapidly becoming quite large has been split into five distinct articles:
- Preliminary operations (April 20 to May 30, 1761) describing the general situation after the Allied surprise attack against the French winter quarters in Hesse and the minor operations who took place before the opening of the campaign.
- Campaign till the battle of Vellinghausen (June 1 to July 26, 1761) describing the French manoeuvres to make a junction of their two armies, the battle of Vellinghausen and the stalemate which resulted after this battle.
- French first attempt against Hanover (July 27 to September 6, 1761) describing Broglie's march through Westphalia, Soubise's advance on Münster, Broglie's first advance into Hanover, and Ferdinand's counter-attack towards Münden.
- French second attempt against Hanover (September 7 to October 5, 1761) describing Broglie's second advance into Hanover, Soubise's operations in East Frisia, and Ferdinand's counter-attack towards Kassel.
- French and Allied last operations (October 6 to December 31, 1761) describing Prince Xavier's operations against Wolfenbüttel and Braunschweig, Ferdinand's offensive on Einbeck, and the winter-quarters of each army.
This article is essentially a compilation of texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Fortescue, J. W.; A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 524-527, 531-534
- Hotham (probably), The operations of the Allied Amy under the command of his Serene Highness Prince Ferdinand Duke of Brunswic and Luneberg beginning in the year 1757 and ending in the year 1762, London: T. Jefferies, 1764, pp. 203-240
- Jomini, Henri, Traité des grandes opérations militaires, 2ème édition, 4ème partie, Magimel, Paris: 1811, pp. 2-78
- Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. V, Paris, 1891, pp. 170-238