19th Light Horse
Origin and History
The regiment was created on December 7, 1759 by the Earl of Drogheda. It was raised at Moore Abbey, in Monasterevin County Kildare, in Ireland. The unit was originally designated as the “19th Light Dragoons” although it was more commonly known as the “The Drogheda Light Horse”.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from 1759: Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Moore, 6th Earl of Drogheda
The regiment was renumbered in 1763 as 18th regiment of Light Dragoons.
In 1766, the regiment was renumbered the “4th Regiment of Light Dragoons” but changed back to its original number (18th) in 1768.
Service during the War
In 1760, Lord Drogheda's Light Horse set out from Dublin to combat the French Admiral, Francois Thurot's, force of about 1,500 soldiers and sailors who had captured the town of Carrickfergus during their diversionary raid on the Irish Coasts.
We have not found any primary source describing the uniform of this regiment. Several part of our description are assumptions based on the uniforms of the regiments of dragoons.
|Headgear||gold or copper helmet; the front plate with brown fur and a red semi oval plate decorated with a black skull and two black bones + underneath the Motto "Or Glory"; red horsehair tail; brown fur band round the base of the helmet|
|Coat||short double breasted red with silver buttons and eight square loops set in pairs.
|Waistcoat||white with very narrow white buttonholes|
|Breeches||white with white knee covers|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of shortened pistols and shortened musket and, probably, a bayonet.
As per the regulation of 1751, the officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- a narrow silver lace at the lapels, cuffs and pockets
- a crimson silk sash worn over the left shoulder
- crimson and silver striped sword knot
- ?deep green? housings and holster caps laced silver
Sergeants were distinguished by a narrow silver lace on the lapels, cuffs and pockets; a silver aiguillette; a black worsted sash about their waist.
Corporals were distinguished by a narrow silver lace on the cuffs and shoulder strap; white silk aiguillette.
Drummers rode grey horses. They wore ?colour? coats lined and turned up with ?colour? and laced with the regimental braid (unknown). Red waistcoats and breeches.
Drummers wore a mitre cap similar to the grenadier mitre cap but with a lower crown and the tassel hanging behind. ?colour? front decorated with a trophy of guidons and drums; little frontal red flap with the White Horse and the the motto “Nec aspera terrent”; ?colour? backing, ?colour? headband with a drum and the initials of the regiment (XIX LD) in the middle part behind.
The drums were of brass with a white forepart carrying the initials of the regiment (XIX LD) in silver characters on a crimson ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk.
We have not found any primary source describing the colours of this regiment. Several part of our description are assumptions based on the colours of the regiments of dragoons.
The guidons were made of silk, fringed in silver and embroidered with silver. The tassels and cords were of crimson silk and gold mixed.
King's Guidon: crimson decorated with the rose and thistle conjoined surmounted by a crown. Underneath the central decoration: the king's motto “Dieu et mon Droit”. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a compartment. In the second and third corners: the initials of the regiment (XIX LD) in silver characters on a black ground.
Regimental Guidon: black field with its centre decorated with the initials of the regiment (XIX LD) in silver characters on a red ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a red compartment. In the second and third corners: the Rose and Thistle conjoined upon a red ground.
To do: enumerate sources