2nd Faro Infantry
Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Portuguese Army >> 2nd Faro Infantry
Origin and History
The unit was initially known as the “Terço do Algarve”. Its first mention dates from 1657.
In September 1762, the regiment was divided into two distinct units: the 1st and 2nd Faro regiments.
During the Seven Years' War, the 2nd regiment was under the command of:
- Francisco de Lima or Francisco Lino da Silva
On May 10 1763, the two units were reunited into a single regiment.
The regiment later became known as "Regimento de Tavira".
Service during the War
At the beginning of the campaign of 1762, the regiment was assigned to the main Anglo-Portuguese army where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry centre. On October 3, because of a severe shortage of ammunition and supplies, the lieutenant-colonel of the regiment ( Joao da Silva Cunha de Azevedo Coutinho) surrendered the village of Vila Velha to the Spaniards. By October 21, the regiment was part of brigadier Fraser's column occupying the heights between Mação and Val da Velha.
Traditionally, since about 1660, the Portuguese infantry wore dark blue uniforms. During the War of Spanish Succession (1701-1714) almost all infantry units wore alvadia (light gray uniforms). These new uniforms were introduced for economic reasons, this type of fabric being much cheaper.
It is now believed that, from 1750, there was a progressive abandon of alvadia uniforms and a return to more traditional Portuguese uniforms. However, it seems that most of the changeover took part sometime after 1759 since, till this date, cloth orders indicated white as the most common colour.
At the outbreak of the war in 1762, there was neither enough uniforms nor cloth for recruits in military warehouses, so it was necessary to use all cloth available. Besides, as there was no central warehouse, every colonel was responsible for the ordering of uniforms. Therefore the fabric was bought from contractors who would cut and turned it into uniforms "more or less" along the official lines.
It must also be noted that the use of gaiters was introduced into the Portuguese infantry only in 1762.
Although we have no detailed description nor illustration of the uniform of this regiment, it seems that in 1759 (under the designation of Tavira), it had a white uniform with yellow as distinctive colour (300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960 p. 52). However, it seems most unlikely that both 1st Faro Infantry and 2nd Faro Infantry still wore identical uniforms in 1762. At least one of them had probably adopted a new uniform by this time.
|Coat||white lined white
N.B.: no source mentions the colour of the buttons
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet.
no information available
no information available
The exact pattern of the Portuguese colonel colours during the Seven Years' War is unknown.
The ordonnance colours were chosen by the colonel of the regiment. For the moment, we have found no source depicting specific colours for this regiment.
Please refer to our article on the Portuguese Line Infantry Colours for more information.
Amaral, Manuel, O Exértico Português em finais do Antiguo Regime
Pereira Sales, Ernesto Augusto; O Conde de Lippe em Portugal, Vila Nova de Famalicao: Publicacoes da Comissao de Historia Militar, 1936
Ribeiro Rodrigues, Manuel A.; 300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960, Exército Portugués and Sociedade Historica da Independéncia de Portugal, 1998
Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues and Joseph O'Neill for the information and counselling provided for this article.