2nd Troop Horse Grenadier Guards

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> British Army >> 2nd Troop Horse Grenadier Guards

Origin and History

The troop was raised in 1702 as part of the Scottish army. In 1709, when the unit became part of the British establishment, it was renamed the “2nd Troop of the Horse Grenadier Guards”, the English troop becoming 1st Troop.

During the War of the Austrian Succession, in 1742, the unit was sent abroad for service. The troop was at the battles of Dettingen (June 27 1743) and Fontenoy (May 11 1745). It was then recalled to Great Britain at the outbreak of the Jacobite Rising.

During the Seven Years' War, the troop was under the command of:

  • since June 5 1745 until April 1 1779: William Stanhope, 2nd Earl of Harrington

In 1788, the troop was amalgamated with the 2nd Troop of Guards to form the 2nd Regiment of Life Guards.

Service during the War

At the outbreak of the Seven Years' War, the troop consisted of 1 squadron counting 150 men.

As of May 30 1759, the troop was stationed in England. It remained in Great Britain throughout the war.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1758 - Source: Frédéric Aubert
Uniform in 1751 as per David Morier
Headgear
2nd Troop Horse Grenadier Guards Mitre Cap - Source: Digby Smith and rf-figuren
British mitre with: a red front edged white and embroidered with white leaves carrying pink roses and yellow thistles (yellow bowl with brown diamond stitches) with white flowers with red divides; the centre device consisted of a blue garter edged yellow carrying the motto "HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE" in yellow and, on a red inner field, the yellow "GR" cipher; a crown (yellow with crimson cushions, white pearls and ermine headband) above the centre device; a small blue front flap edged white with a dark yellow scroll edged in light yellow carrying the motto "NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT" in black; red back; a blue headband edged white with crossed sword and musket side badges; no pompom
Neckstock white
Coat red with white buttons and narrow white buttonholes
Collar none
Shoulder strap red edged in blue
Lapels none
Pockets vertical pockets with 5 white buttons and 5 narrow white buttonholes in a chevron pattern
Cuffs blue with 3 white buttons and 3 narrow white buttonholes in a chevron pattern on the sleeve above each cuff
Turnbacks blue fastened with a small white button
Waistcoat buff
Breeches buff leather
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather
Waistbelt natural leather
Cartridge Box black
Scabbard black
Bayonet scabbard n/a
Footgear black boots
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth red laced with a thick gold braid with a blue stripe carrying the same badge as the mitre cap (blue garter surmounted by a crown) in the lower rear corner
Housings red laced with a thick gold braid with a blue stripe carrying the same badge as the mitre cap (blue garter surmounted by a crown)
Blanket roll blue and red


Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, grenades, a musket and a bayonet. Horse Grenadier Guards rode black horses.

Officers

As per the regulation of 1751, the officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:

  • a narrow gold lace at the bindings and buttonholes
  • a crimson silk sash worn over the left shoulder
  • crimson and gold sword knot
  • housings and holster caps laced gold

NCOs

no information available yet

Musicians

Drummers and oboists rode grey horses. They wore red uniforms with blue facings, the whole heavily laced in gold. Their swords had a broken blade because they were not considered as combatant.

Colours

Standard and guidon were made of damask.

2nd troop Standard (as per the 1751 Warrant and the Windsor Colour Book): crimson field, fringed gold; centre device consisting of a rose and thistle on the same stalk surmounted by a large crown (yellow with red cushions, white pearls and ermine headband) with the letters G and R in gold on either side; a silver scroll carrying the motto "Dieu et mon droit" in black below the centre device; 3 smaller crowns below the scroll (identical to the larger crown depicted above).

2nd troop Guidon (as per the 1751 Warrant and the Windsor Colour Book): crimson field, fringed gold; centre device consisting of a rose and thistle on the same stalk surmounted by a large crown (yellow with red cushions, white pearls and ermine headband) with the letters G and R in gold on either side; a silver scroll carrying the motto "Dieu et mon droit" in black below the centre device; 3 smaller crowns below the scroll (identical to the larger crown depicted above).

Troop Standard – Source: Frédéric Aubert
Troop Guidon – Source: Frédéric Aubert

References

Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

Lawson, Cecil C. P., A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II

Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately does not seem to be online any more)

Wikipedia

  • Horse Grenadier Guards