Difference between revisions of "33rd Foot"
|Line 111:||Line 111:|
|[[File:33rd Foot King Colour.jpg|frame|King's Colour - Source:
|[[File:33rd Foot King Colour.jpg|frame|King's Colour - Source: ]]
||[[File:33rd Foot Regimental Colour.jpg|frame|Regimental Colour - Source:
||[[File:33rd Foot Regimental Colour.jpg|frame|Regimental Colour - Source: [:..]]]
Latest revision as of 13:38, 2 December 2019
Origin and History
The unit was raised on February 12 1702 as the "Earl of Huntingdon's Regiment of Foot". From its creation to 1751, the regiment was known by the name of its successive colonels.
From 1702 to 1704, during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1713), the regiment served on the continent, in the Netherlands and Germany. From 1704, it campaigned in Spain. In 1705, it distinguished itself at Valencia d'Alcantara. In 1707, it fought in the Battle of Almansa. In 1710, it in the Battle of Almenar and in the Battle of Brihuega and surrendered a few days later. It later returned to Great Britain.
In 1743, during the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48), the regiment took part to the battle of Dettingen. In 1745, it fought in the Battle of Fontenoy before being recalled to Great Britain to quench the Jacobite rising. It then returned to Flanders. In 1746, it fought in the Battle of Rocoux. In 1747, it took part in the Battle of Lauffeld.
On July 1 1751, when a Royal warrant reorganised the British infantry, the regiment was designated as the "33rd Regiment of Foot".
As per a resolution of September 20 1756, a second battalion was exceptionally added to the regiment. However, this second battalion was detached from its parent regiment in April 1758 to form the 72nd Foot.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since November 20 1753: Charles Hay
- from May 5 1760 to March 21 1766: John Griffin (Whitwell), Lord Howard de Walden
Service during the War
In May 1758, the regiment was at the Isle of Wight in preparation for a raid on the French Coasts. It then embarked on the fleet and took part in the first expedition from June 1 to July 1. It also took part in a second expedition on the French Coasts from August to September of the same year. Its grenadiers suffered heavy losses during the re-embarkment at Saint-Cast.
As of May 30 1759, the regiment was stationed in England and counted 1 battalion for a total of 900 men.
In May 1760, the regiment was part of a reinforcement of six battalions and two regiments of Highlanders promised to Ferdinand of Brunswick. The troops were shipped to the Weser instead of, as heretofore, to Emden, and seem to have been despatched with commendable promptitude; for the six regiments of foot, though only warned for service on May 1, were actually reviewed by Ferdinand in his camp at Fritzlar on June 17, and were declared by him to be in a most satisfactory condition. On October 16, the regiment fought in the battle of Clostercamp where it formed part of the 4th division under Howard which was kept in reserve.
On July 16, 1761, the regiment took part in the Battle of Vellinghausen where it was deployed in the centre in Howard's corps.
By May 23, 1762, the regiment was attached to Conway's Division. On June 24, it took part in the Battle of Wilhelmsthal where it was part of the second column.
|Coat||brick red lined white and laced white (unknown pattern) with brick red shoulder wing laced white (same lace as above) and with 3 white buttonholes under the lapels (same lace as above)
|Waistcoat||brick red laced white (same lace as above)|
|Gaiters||white with black buttons|
brown, grey or black during campaigns (black after 1759)
Troopers were armed with with a "Brown Bess" muskets, a bayonet and a sword. They also carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers of the regiment wore the same uniforms as the private soldiers but with the following differences
- silver gorget around the neck
- an aiguilette on the right shoulder
- silver lace instead of normal lace
- a crimson sash
Officers wore the same headgear as the private soldiers under their command; however, officers of the grenadier company wore a more decorated mitre cap.
Officers generally carried a spontoon, however, in battle some carried muskets instead.
According to the Royal Clothing Warrant of 1751:
- The drummers of the regiment were clothed in white, lined, faced, and lapelled on the breast with red, and laced in such manner as the colonel shall think fit for distinction sake, the lace, however, was of the colours of that on the soldiers' coats.
- The front or forepart of the drums were painted red, with the king's cypher and crown, and the number “XXXIII” under it. The rims were red.
King's Colour: Union with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "XXXIII" in gold Roman numerals.
Regimental Colour: red cross of St. George in a white field with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "XXXIII" in gold Roman numerals. The Union in the upper left corner.
N.B.: since this regiment exceptionally counted 2 battalions, the colours of the 2nd Battalion were distinguished by a flaming ray superposed to the upper left branch of the saltire.
Farmer, John S.: The Regimental Records of the British Army, London: Grant Richards, 1901
Fortescue, J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
George II, The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth
Wikipedia - 33rd Foot
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.