Origin and History
The regiment was raised on July 17 1685 to curb Monmouth Rebellion. It was known as the “Princess Ann of Denmark's Dragoon” and ranked 4th.
On July 1 1751, when a Royal warrant reorganised the British cavalry, the regiment was designated as the “4th Regiment of Dragoons”.
The regiment counted 2 squadrons.
At the end of 1755, a company of light dragoons was added to the Regiments.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- in 1759: Marshal Rich
In 1788, the regiment was converted into a light dragoon regiment.
Service during the War
As of May 30 1759, the regiment was stationed in Scotland and counted 2 squadrons for a total of 390 men. It was not involved in any campaign during the war.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced silver with a black cockade|
|Coat||double breasted red lined green with white buttons and very narrow white buttonholes grouped 2 by 2
|Waistcoat||green with very narrow white buttonholes|
|Breeches||green with white knee covers|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols and a musket.
As per the regulation of 1751, the officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- a narrow silver lace at the lapels, cuffs and pockets
- a crimson silk sash worn over the left shoulder
- crimson and gold striped sword knot
- green housings and holster caps laced silver
Sergeants were distinguished by a narrow silver lace on the lapels, cuffs and pockets; a silver aiguillette; a green worsted sash about their waist.
Corporals were distinguished by a narrow silver lace on the cuffs and shoulder strap; white silk aiguillette.
Drummers rode grey horses. They wore green coats lined and turned up with red and laced with a white braid with a blue stripe. Red waistcoats and breeches. Drummers wore a mitre cap similar to the grenadier mitre cap but with a lower crown and the tassel hanging behind. Green front decorated with a trophy of guidons and drums; little frontal red flap with the White Horse and the motto “Nec aspera terrent”; red backing, green headband with a drum and the rank of the regiment (IV. D.) in the middle part behind. The drums were of brass with a green forepart carrying the rank of the regiment (IV. D.) in silver characters on a crimson ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk.
The guidons were made of silk, fringed in blue and silver and embroidered in silver. The tassels and cords were of crimson silk and gold mixed.
King's Guidon: crimson field decorated with the rose and thistle conjoined surmounted by a crown. Underneath the central decoration: the king's motto “Dieu et mon Droit”. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a compartment. In the second and third corners: the rank of the regiment (IV. D.) in silver characters on a green ground.
Regimental Guidon: green field with its centre decorated with the rank of the regiment (IV. D.) in silver characters on a crimson ground within a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk. In the first and fourth corners the White Horse in a red compartment. In the second and third corners: the rose and thistle conjoined upon a red ground.
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
George II, The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Lawson, Cecil C. P., A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth (an excellent website which unfortunately does not seem to be online any more)
Wikipedia - 4th Queen's Own Hussars
Digby Smith for additional info on the regiment.