Origin and History
The unit was originally raised on September 20, 1756 as a second battalion of the 33rd Foot. However, this second battalion was detached from its parent regiment in April 1758 to form the “72th Duke of Richmond's Regiment of Foot”.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from April 1758 to 1763: Charles Lennox, duke of Richmond
The regiment was disbanded in 1763 at the end of the Seven Years' War.
Service during the War
In May 1758, the regiment was at the Isle of Wight in preparation for a raid on the French Coasts. It then embarked on the fleet and took part in the first expedition from June 1 to July 1. It also took part in a second expedition on the French Coasts from August to September of the same year. On September 11, its grenadiers suffered heavy losses during the re-embarkment at Saint-Cast.
As of May 30, 1759, the regiment was stationed in England and counted 1 battalion for a total of 900 men.
In 1762, the regiment was sent to join the invasion force in the West Indies. Then from March to August, it took part in the siege and capture of Havanna suffering heavy losses from sickness during the following months.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Coat||brick red lined white and laced white (white braid with 2 red and 1 black stripes) with 3 white buttonholes under the lapels (same lace as above)
|Waistcoat||brick red laced white (same lace as above)|
|Gaiters||white with black buttons|
brown, grey or black during campaigns (black after 1759)
Troopers were armed with with a "Brown Bess" muskets, a bayonet and a sword. They also carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers of the regiment wore the same uniforms as the private soldiers but with the following differences
- silver gorget around the neck
- an aiguilette on the right shoulder
- silver lace instead of normal lace
- a crimson sash
Officers wore the same headgear as the private soldiers under their command; however, officers of the grenadier company wore a more decorated mitre cap.
Officers generally carried a spontoon, however, in battle some carried muskets instead.
According to the Royal Clothing Warrant of 1751:
- The drummers of the regiment were clothed in red, lined, faced, and lapelled on the breast with red, and laced in such manner as the colonel shall think fit for distinction sake, the lace, however, was of the colours of that on the soldiers' coats.
- The front or forepart of the drums were painted red, with the king's cypher and crown, and the number “LXXII” under it. The rims were red.
King's Colour: Union with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "LXXII" in gold Roman numerals.
Regimental Colour: red cross of St. George in a white field with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "LXXII" in gold Roman numerals. The Union in the upper left corner.
Fortescue, J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899
George II, The Royal Clothing Warrant, 1751
Lawson, Cecil C. P., A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II, p. 95
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth through the Way Back Machine
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.