Origin and History
The unit was originally raised at Newcastle-on-Tyne on September 20, 1756 as a second battalion of the 36th Foot. However, this second battalion was detached from its parent regiment in April 1758 to form the “74th Regiment of Foot”.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- from April 1758 to ????: Talbot
The regiment was disbanded in 1763 at the end of the Seven Years' War.
Service during the War
In 1758, 200 men of the regiment were sent to Senegal to garrison Fort Louis taken from the French on April 30. In May, the rest of the regiment was initially part of the force assembled on the isle of Wight for the first British expedition on the French coasts. However, when the expedition departed at the end of May, the regiment was left behind at Wight to serve in another mission. On July 12, it was ordered to embark for Jamaica.
From 1758 to its disbandment in 1763, the main part of the regiment was used in Jamaica against the Maroons.
|Coat||brick red lined deep green and laced white (white braid with 2 red and 1 yellow stripes) with 3 white buttonholes under the lapels (same lace as above)
|Waistcoat||brick red laced white (same lace as above)|
|Gaiters||white with black buttons|
brown, grey or black during campaigns (black after 1759)
N.B.: while serving in Jamaica, the uniform was adapted; the coat was lined with linen, the breeches were thicker and thread stockings were used.
Troopers were armed with with a "Brown Bess" muskets, a bayonet and a sword. They also carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers of the regiment wore the same uniforms as the private soldiers but with the following differences
- gold gorget around the neck
- an aiguilette on the right shoulder
- silver lace instead of normal lace
- a crimson sash
Officers wore the same headgear as the private soldiers under their command; however, officers of the grenadier company wore a more decorated mitre cap.
Officers generally carried a spontoon, however, in battle some carried muskets instead.
According to the Royal Clothing Warrant of 1751:
- The drummers of the regiment were clothed in deep green, lined, faced, and lapelled on the breast with red, and laced in such manner as the colonel shall think fit for distinction sake, the lace, however, was of the colours of that on the soldiers' coats.
- The front or forepart of the drums were painted deep green, with the king's cypher and crown, and the number “LXXIV” under it. The rims were red.
King's Colour: Union with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "LXXIV" in gold Roman numerals.
Regimental Colour: deep green field with its centre decorated with a rose and thistle wreath around the regiment number "LXXIV" in gold Roman numerals. The Union in the upper left corner.
Fortescue, J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899
Lawson, Cecil C. P., A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II, p. 95
Mills, T. F., Land Forces of Britain the Empire and Commonwealth through the Way Back Machine
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.