Origin and History
The frigate was built by John Barnard at Harwich and launched on September 19 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- in 1759: captain John Bushworth
- in 1761: captain Rowland Cotton
- in 1762: captain James Alm
In 1803, the frigate was decommissioned at Portsmouth.
The frigate was broken up in September 1812.
Service during the War
In the autumn of 1759, the frigate was part of the British squadron in the Downs, under commodore sir Piercy Brett. In October, when the French squadron of Thurot slipped out of Dunkerque harbour through a thick fog and made to the northward, Brett's squadron was ordered to Yarmouth to protect the coast of England.
In 1761, the frigate was the first vessel of the Royal Navy to have a fully copper-sheathed hull.
In 1762, the frigate took part in the siege of Havana with sir George Pocock's fleet..
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||125 ft (38 m)|
|Width||35 ft 6 in (10.82 m)|
|Depth||12 ft (3.66 m)|
Blasco, Manuel, HBMF Alarm (1758), 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.