Origin and History
The sloop of war was built at Saltash and launched on February 5 1757.
During the Seven Years' War, the sloop of war was under the command of:
- in 1757: commander Thomas Baillie
- from 1759: commander John Peighin
- from 1761: commander F. Richard
- from 1762: commander Richard Bruduell
The sloop of war was sold on May 1 1783.
Service during the War
In the summer and autumn of 1759, the frigate was part of commodore William Boys' squadron blockading the French squadron of Thurot at Dunkerque. In October, Boys' squadron was driven from his station by a gale. On October 15 at 5:00 PM, Thurot seized the opportunity, slipped out through a thick fog and made to the northward. Boys followed as soon as possible but was not able to overtake Thurot. Ultimately, Boys contented himself with cruising off the coast of Scotland with the object of preventing any sudden raid there.
In 1761, the sloop of war served in the East Indies as part of the squadron of rear-admiral Samuel Cornish.
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||n/a|
Blasco, Manuel, British Unrated 1714-1792, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.