Alt Zastrow Infantry
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1665 as the Cellische Leibregiment. It later joined the Hanoverian army and then took the name of its successive colonels. It garrisoned at Ratzburg and Molln.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- from 1740: von Zastrow
- from 1756: Alt-Zastrow
- from 1761: von Otten
Service during the War
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of the Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On July 27 in the afternoon, the Hereditary Prince set off from Petershagen, near Minden, with 6 bns, including this regiment, and 8 dragoon sqns, totalling some 6,000 men, and marched south-westward towards Lübbecke to threaten the French left flank and the supply line between Minden and Paderborn. On August 1, the regiment was part of the centre of the corps of the Hereditary Prince who attacked and defeated Brissac's French corps in the Engagement of Gohfeld. During this engagement, the regiment repulsed the French cavalry.
On July 10 1760, the regiment was present at the Combat of Corbach where it formed part of Lieutenant-General von Gilsa's Reserve. It was not engaged in any fighting. On October 10, it was at the Battle of Clostercamp but was attached to the containing force, under Major-General von Bock, posted north of Rheinberg
On July 16 1761, the regiment took part in the Battle of Vellinghausen where it was attached to the reserve.
By May 23 1762, the regiment was attached to the main Allied army in Major-General von Bock's Brigade. On June 24, the regiment took part in the Battle of Wilhelmsthal.
|Coat||red with 2 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
|Waistcoat||white with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 brass buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt) and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had gold lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in yellow.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating white and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: white field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments).
Regimental Colours: red field with a lion couchant on a mound surrounded by pale green palm wreaths, bounded together by a ribbon. Scroll above reads VIGILANTIA VINCIT. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, and Hans M. Brauer: Heer und Tradition
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Vial J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar