Origin and History
The ship was built by Philemon Ewer at Bursledon and launched on October 10 1747.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from February 1755 to 1757: captain Robert Man
- from February 1759 to 1763: captain Matthew Whitwell
The ship was sold at Portsmouth on June 25 1773.
Service during the War
On April 22 1755, the ship sailed for North America.
On April 27 1756, the ship sailed for the Leeward Islands. In September, she returned to Chatham where she began great repaired.
On November 1758, the ship had teminated her great repair and was ready for service.
In November 1759, as soon as it became known in Great Britain that the French had sailed from Brest, the excitement was great and every effort was made to meet the situation. Orders were issued for guarding all coastal areas where the French were likely to make a descent. Troops were everywhere put in motion for this purpose. Furthermore, all ships of war in harbour were ordered out. The ship was part of rear-admiral Francis Geary's squadron detached to reinforce Hawke's fleet. However, Geary's reinforcements arrived too late to take part in the decisive battle of Quiberon.
From 1760, the ship was stationed in the Mediterranean.
|Length||150 ft 2 in (45.77 m)|
|Width||42 ft 10 in (13,06 m)|
|Depth||18 ft 5 in (5.62 m)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 3rd Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.