Origin and History
To do: date of creation and regimental history before the SYW.
According to the 1753 État, during peacetime each regiment counted 8 companies in 4 squadrons for a total of 514 men and 394 horses.
In 1756, after the surrender of the Saxon Army at Pirna, the entire regiment was distributed among the Prussian cavalry.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
To do: identification of the successive commanders during the SYW with dates
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II invaded Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under the Fürst von Anhalt, as part of von Vitzthum's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The entire regiment was then distributed among the Prussian cavalry.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced white with a white cockade fastened with a small white button; one crimson bob in each lateral corne|
|Coat||white lined crimson with 6 white buttons (arranged 1-2-3) down to the waist on each side; 3 white buttons under the waist on the right side
|Waistcoat||buff leather kollet edged with a crimson braid with a white central stripe; no button (fastened with hooks and eyes)|
a crimson waistcoat was worn under the kollet
Troopers were armed with ???.
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the officers
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the musicians
Leibstandarte: white damask field heavily embroidered in gold with silver piping, centre device consisting of a gold shield of ornate design carrying the Royal Polish arms (white eagles and white knights on a red field) and on the centre the arms of Saxony beneath the electoral hat, surmounted by a crimson royal crown and surrounded by green palm leaves. Fringe in gold (buttons color) and crimson red (distinctive color).
Ordinarstandarte: crimson red damask field heavily embroidered in gold with silver piping; centre device consisting of the golden royal cipher "AR" on a white pedestal surmounted by a royal crown and surrounded by green palm leaves. Fringe in crimson red and gold (buttons color).
The first squadron carried the white colonel (Leib) standard while the 3 other squadrons each carried one ordonnance standard.
Bavaria, Saxony and the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms & Flags of the Seven Years War. Researched by M.Lange and A. Sharman. Compiled by R.D. Pengel. Artwork by G.R. Hurt. Birmingham, 1981.