Origin and History
|Maximilian August Baron Zorn von Blovsheim was born 1715 in Strasbourg in an old Alsacian aristocratic family. Their original name was Plobsheim. In 1735, Maximilian joined Leopold Daun Infantry as volunteer and later reached the rank of lieutenant-colonel. In 1758, he distinguished himself during the defence of Schweidnitz and was decorated with the Order of Maria Theresa and promoted to colonel of the "Artillerie-Füsilliere". After the Treaty of Hubertusburg, he was transferred to Salm Infantry. In 1771, Maximilian was promoted to major-general and, in 1774, to Feldmarshall Lieutenant. He died in 1774 at Przemysl (in present-day in Poland).|
The regiment was raised during the winter of 1757-58 to provide escorts for the guns and to act as assistants in moving the pieces in the field. It initially counted a single battalion but as soon as 1759 was increased to a total of 3 battalions, each of these battalions consisted of:
- 8 companies, each totalling 116 men and consisting of:
- 1 captain
- 1 first lieutenant
- 1 sub lieutenant
- 1 adjutant
- 4 corporals
- 4 carpenters
- 2 drummers
- 2 fifers
- 1 quartermaster
- 2 assistant-quartermasters
- 1 surgeon
- 96 fusiliers
Even taking into consideration the Artillery Fusilier Regiment, there were too few men for the tasks in the field and infantrymen still had to be detached to the guns, to make up the numbers needed.
During the Seven Years' War, the colonel of the regiment was:
- from 1757: Maximilian August Baron von Blovsheim
After the Peace of Hubertusburg in 1763, the Artillery Fusilier Regiment was reduced to a single battalion of six companies.
Service during the War
From 1758, detachments of this regiment escorted various detachments of Austrian artillery.
For the moment we have very few information on the uniform in 1756, at the outbreak of the war. Most of our references describe the uniform in 1762.
N.B.: the Albertina Handschrift illustrates a grayish uniform instead of the brown uniform depicted hereafter.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced yellow with a golden fastener on the left side and a black cockade|
|Coat||brown (fawn) with 14 yellow buttons on the right side and 14 unlaced buttonholes on the left side and 1 yellow button in the small of the back on each side
|Waistcoat||brown (fawn) with 2 rows of small yellow buttons and with horizontal pockets, each with 3 yellow buttons|
|Breeches||brown (fawn) in winter, white in summer|
|Gaiters||black with small yellow buttons|
Privates were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sabre.
NCOs wore the same uniform as the fusiliers with the following distinctions:
- a black and yellow braid on the left shoulder-strap
- a brown stick
Officers wore the same uniform as the gunners with the following exceptions:
- brown (fawn) coat lined fire red
- white neckstock
- white plastron
- no turnbacks
- gilt buttons
- yellow and black silk sash
- a sword in a brown scabbard
Staff officers wore the same uniform as the officers with the following differences:
- 3 fingers wide lace at the tricorne
- fire red collar on the coat
- fire red cuffs edged gold
- brown (fawn) coat edged gold
- fire red waistcoat edged gold
no information found
no information found
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
- Großer Generalstab, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher). Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen. Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763.
- Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, App. 4
Haythornthwaite, Philip and Bill Younghusband: The Austrian Army 1740-80: 3 Specialist Troops, London: Osprey, 1995
Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, pp. 74-75
Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993
User:Zahn for gathering most of the information about this regiment