Austrian Army Medical Services
In preparation for the incoming war, garrison-hospitals, field-hospitals and associated branch-hospitals were established. They were placed under the command of invalid officers belonging to the commissariat and to the provision office. The medical services included doctors, surgeons and field-surgeons assisted by reliable soldiers serving as orderlies. On the battlefield, field-surgeons along with some wagons were assembled behind the second line to succour wounded soldiers who were then brought to the field-hospital and eventually to a hospital. After the sojourn at the hospital, the soldier was sent to a convalescence house.
This article is mainly an excerpt from the following book which is in the public domain:
- Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, p. 138