Origin and History
The regiment was raised in Bruges on 17 October 1670 by the Baron de San Juan as a “tercio de caballeria espanola”.
In 1667, during the War of Devolution (1667–68), the unit took part in the unsuccessful defence of Cambrai.
In 1692, during the Nine Years' War (1688–97), the regiment fought in the Battle of Steenkerque; in 1693, in the Battle of Landen.
In the Spring 1701, at the outbreak of the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-13), the two squadrons of the regiment were stationed in the Spanish Netherlands where it campaigned until 1709. In 1703, it took part in the Battle of Ekeren; in 1706, in the Battle of Ramillies; in 1708, in the Battle of Oudenarde and in the engagement of Wijnendale; in 1709, in the Battle of Malplaquet. From 1710, when it returned to Spain, to 1713, the regiment was in French pay. In 1710, it took part in the Battle of Saragossa.
In 1718 the regiment, who had previously been designated by the name of its successive colonels, was renamed “Barcelona”. The same year, it took part in the siege of Messina in Sicily. In 1719, it fought in the sanguinary battle of Francavilla.
In 1733, during the War of the Polish Succession (1733-35), the regiment took part in the expedition in Tuscany. In 1734, it participated in the reconquest of Naples. In 1735, it campaigned in Lombardia.
In 1741, at the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48), the regiment was stationed in Italy.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- no information available yet
On May 2 1763, the regiment was disbanded and incorporated in Principe Cavalry.
Service during the War
No information available yet about the service of the regiment during the Seven Years' War
|Headgear||black tricorne laced gold with a red cockade|
|Coat||white with yellow buttons under the lapel down to the pocket on the right side, 1 yellow button on each side in the small of the back and small yellow buttons on each side to fasten the basques
|Waistcoat||red with yellow buttons, horizontal pockets with yellow buttons|
no information available yet
Musicians probably wore a uniform with reversed colours: blue coat with white facings.
The standards were made of damask or silk, fringed and embroidered with gold. They had red and blue cravats with gold tassels.
Obverse: blue field, the border embroidered with a vegetal pattern; centre device consisting of the regimental emblem, a white disk with a silver horse surrounded by a gold border; corner device consisting of a fleur-de-lys; all embroideries of gold.
Reverse: blue field, the border embroidered with a vegetal pattern; centre device consisting of the Royal Spanish Arms surrounded by the necklace of the Order of the Golden Fleece; corner device consisting a fleur-de-lys; all embroideries of gold.
This article is partly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. XV, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 67-68
Album de Taccoli, 1759
Fernández Mateos, Francisco P.: Regimiento "Numancia", 9º de Caballería
Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda for the information and counselling provided for this article; Volker Scholz for the information on the standards.