Batthyányi Dragoons

From Project Seven Years War
Revision as of 14:26, 8 March 2022 by RCouture (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Austrian Army >> Batthyányi Dragoons

Origin and History

Trooper of Batthyányi Dragoons in 1762 - Copyright: Franco Saudelli

This regiment of dragoons was raised in 1640 by lieutenant-colonel Johann de la Corona at his own expense. A warrant signed by emperor Ferdinand III, dated from August 28 1640, named Corona Inhaber (owner) and commander of the new regiment counting 8 companies of 100 dragoons each for a total of 800 men.

Colonel de la Corona brought the new regiment to the army of baron Golz fighting the Swedes on the Oder in Silesia. On May 31 1642, the regiment took part to the attempted relief of the fortress of Schweidnitz besieged by the Swedes. On July 4, it fought the Swedes at Littau near Olmütz in Moravia, capturing 75 men. On November 2, it was at the battle of Breitenfeld and then took its winter quarters at Rakonitz in Bohemia. In the spring of 1644, the regiment took part to the blockade of Gross-Glogau. The same year, it also participated to the expedition to relieve the Danes. In 1645, it defended the towns of Pardubitz and Pilsen. In 1647, it operated in Bohemia where it distinguished itself at Königswart on October 15, capturing 53 men and 4 guns. After the treaty of Westphalia, the regiment took its cantonments in Bohemia.

In 1653, the regiment was sent to fight against the Turks. In 1657, it operated in Poland and in 1658 in Hungary. In 1661, the regiment first served in Transylvania and was later transferred to Hungary. In 1662, it saw heavy fighting mostly in Hungary. In 1663 and 1664, it operated once more in Hungary. In 1665, it was in Styria. It continued to be involved in the Turkish war until 1673.

In 1675, the regiment took part to the campaign of Pomerania along with the Brandenburger army. In 1677, it assisted the Danish army in its fight against the Swedes.

In 1683, at the outbreak of a new war against Turkey, it took part to the combat of Brigittenau near Vienna on July 16. It was also present at the battle of Vienna on September 12 and accompanied the Imperial army in its campaign in Hungary. In 1684, it was at the combat of Waitzen and at the siege of Ofen. In 1685, it was at the capture of Eperies and at the siege of Kaschau. In 1686, it took part to the second siege and at the battle of Ofen. In 1687, it was at the battle of Mohacs and at the capture of Esseg and Poszega. In 1688, it participated to the capture of Titel and to the storming of Belgrade. In 1689, it served in Serbia and took part to the battles of Potoschin and Nissa, and at the capture of Widdin. In 1690, it operated in Transylvania. In 1691, it took part to the battle of Szalankamen. In 1693, it was at the siege of Belgrade. In 1696, it took part to the siege of Temesvar and to the battle of Ollaschin. In 1697, it fought at Zenta and stormed Ujpalanka.

During the War of the Spanish Succession (1701–13), the regiment fought against the rebels in Hungary. On September 11, 1704, it took part to the combats of Hermannstadt, Klausenburg and Sarkany against the insurgents. In 1705, it was at the defense of Hermannstadt. In 1706, it participated to another campaign against the Hungarian insurgents. In 1707, it was at Ofen. In 1708, it was at Weissenburg and Mühlenbach. In 1709, a detachment of the regiment fought at Szomkert on August 31. In 1711 and 1712, the regiment operated in Upper Hungary and Transylvania. In 1713, the regiment served against the French in Germany. After the peace, the regiment took its quarters in Styria and Carinthia.

In 1716, at the outbreak of the war against Turkey, the regiment counting 10 companies fought at Peterwardein on August 5 as part of the army of prince Eugène von Savoyen. In September, it also took part to the siege of the fortress of Temesvar. In 1717, it participated to the siege and battle of Belgrade.

From 1719 to 1725, part of the regiment was stationed in the region of Linz in Upper Austria, the other in Styria. In 1726, the new quarters of the regiment were located in Bohemia and Moravia. In 1727, it was transferred to Luxembourg, then in Lombardy in 1730.

During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment left Lombardy in 1733 and joined the Austro-Saxon observation corps in Bohemia. It took its winter quarters in Silesia. In 1734, it fought against the French in Bohemia and retired to join the Reichsarmee on the Rhine. It took its winter quarters in Rothenburg near Hornberg. In 1735, it was part of the army of the Rhine.

In 1736, during the war between Russian and Turkey, the regiment joined the Austrian army operating in Hungary. In 1737, when Austria joined the war against Turkey, the regiment joined the main Austrian army assembling in Semlin. In June and July, it took part to the siege of Nissa. It then operated in Wallachia and Transylvania. In 1738, it took part to the victorious encounter of Kornia on July 4. In 1739, it was at the encounter of Pancsowa on July 29.

During the War of the Austrian Succession (1740–48), the regiment first fought the Prussians at Mollwitz in 1741 and then took it winter quarters in Bohemia. On May 17, 1742, it was at the defeat of Czaslau. After the peace of Breslau on June 11, 1742, the regiment was redirected against the French which it besieged in Prague. It then took part to the siege of Braunau in December. In 1743, it operated against the French and Bavarians and took part to the capture of the French fortified camp at Deggendorf. It then joined the army of the prince von Lothringen at Alt Breisach on the Rhine and took its quarters in Swabia in October. In 1744, the regiment was on the Neckar with the main Austrian army which crossed the Rhine in July but had to recross it in August to march on Bohemia where the Prussians were now operating. In September, the regiment left the main army to join the corps of count Batthyanyi in Bavaria. In 1745, the regiment fought at Pfaffenhofen on April 15. On April 22, it was sent to the Lower Rhine army. It took its winter quarters in Swabia. In May 1746, it joined Palffy at Sintheim in Netherlands and took part to the battle of Rocoux on October 11. In March 1747, the regiment was on the Meuse. It took part to the battle of Lauffeld on July 2. In March 1748, it was in the camp between Maastricht and RRoermond. After the peace, it moved to Bohemia and then to Hungary where it took its quarters.

The regiment counted 6 squadrons and a company of horse grenadiers. For battles, the latter was usually converged with other similar companies to form an elite unit.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment inhaber was:

  • from 1731 to 1773: Carl Joseph Fürst Batthyányi

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:

  • from 1754: Andreas Count Vitzhum
  • from 1759 to 1767: Heinrich Hartenberg


Service during the War

1756

In June 1756, at the beginning of the war, the regiment was stationed Königgrätz (present-day Hradec Králové/CZ) in Bohemia and counted 813 men and 804 horses. In July, it was at the camp of Jaromirz (present-day Jaroměř/CZ) and was part of the corps of FML Piccolomini.

In September, Piccolomini's corps was on the Adler River (present-day Orlice) watching the Prussian corps of Field Marshal Schwerin. However, the grenadier company was with the main army when Field Marshal Browne advanced to Budin on September 14. On September 21, a detachment of the regiment, along with part of the Festetics Hussars, fought at Jasena (present-day Jasenná/CZ) where Lieutenant Bechinie and 71 troopers were captured. On October 16, Captain Unruhe and his company took part in the successful expedition led by Lieutenant-Colonel Gersdorf of the Birkenfeld Cuirassiers with 100 grenzers, 200 dragoons and a few hussars against Lieutenant-Colonel Werner at Reichenau (present-day Rychnov nad Kněžnou/CZ). The Austrian detachment attacked this town, killing 2 officers and 50 men and capturing 15 men. However, Werner managed to escape by crossing the Adler River, but lost all his horses.

Meanwhile, the horse grenadier company of the regiment was with the main army, which was defeated at the Battle of Lobositz on October 1. For this battle, they were assigned to the vanguard of all grenadier and carabinier companies (10–14 coys.) led by General Count O'Donell. Captain Count Erdödy of this company was wounded and and lost 5 men killed and 6 wounded. Erdödy was praised in O'Donell's relation for his bravery. The vanguard had received the first shock of the Prussians.

After this battle, the grenadier company accompanied FM Count Browne on October 7 in his attempt to relieve the Saxon army blockaded in Pirna. The attempt failed and Browne's corps retraced its steps to Budin. The regiment took its winter quarters in the region of Doubrawitz (present-day Doubravice near Hradec Králové/CZ).

1757

In the Spring of 1757, 4 squadrons of the regiment along with the grenadier company joined the corps of FZM Königsegg and, by April, were already posted near Turnau (present-day Turnov/CZ). On April 21, they fought in the Combat of Reichenberg, as part of count von Königsegg's force, loosing 13 men and 10 horses.

On May 6, the regiment was at the Battle of Prague where it was deployed in Count Lanthiery's brigade, in the second line of the right wing under Baron Bretlach. It lost 32 men killed and 6 wounded. Furthermore, Ensign Baron Sikingen, Count Wratislaw, Count Klenau, Count Mikes and 111 men were taken prisoners of war.

After this defeat, 2 squadrons (7 officers and 136 men) took refuge in Prague and took part in the defence of the city. Meanwhile, 4 squadrons and the horse grenadiers (10 officers, 402 men) went to Beneschau (present-day Benešov/CZ) where they joined the army of Field Marshal Daun.

When the Prussians lifted the siege of Prague, the 2 squadrons posted there marched to the camp of Celakovitz (present-day Čelákovice/CZ), where they joined the rest of the regiment. However, with the losses suffered at Prague, the reunited regiment could field only 4 squadrons. The regiment then accompanied the main army, which marched by way of Gabel (present-day Jablonné v Podještědí/CZ) to Zittau in Upper Lusatia. The army remained idle there for the entire month of August.

On September 7, when general Nádasdy attacked Winterfeldt's corps isolated at Moys, the regiment was part of Wollwrath's Cavalry Brigade which has probably not participated to the engagement.

On November 22, the regiment took part in the Battle of Breslau where it was deployed in the first line of the cavalry right wing of Nádasdy's Corps. The horse grenadiers were with the vanguard and joined the regiment only at the end of November. By 26 November, the regiment counted 4 squadrons for a total of only 402 men.

On December 5, at the disastrous defeat of Leuthen, the regiment was deployed in the first line of the cavalry Reserve under marshal O'Donell on the far left of the Austrian positions as part of Nádasdy's Corps. Along with Erzherzog Ferdinand Cuirassiers, it covered the retreat of the left wing and suffered heavy casualties, losing 34 men killed and Colonel Count Vitzhum, Captains Rippenhausen, Graffenthal, Count Erdödy, Count Berchtold, von Reinerz, Lieutenants Lenz and Baron Bechinie, Ensigns Rosemark and Baron Lossberg as well as 105 troopers wounded, and 58 men missing. The regiment took its winter quarters in the region of Wellisch (present-day Velíš near Jičín) in Bohemia.

1758

Batthyányi Dragoons at Hochkirch - Copyright: Harald Skala

At the end of March 1758, the regiment numbered 1,023 men. During the campaign, it was once more assigned to the main army.

By August 2, the regiment served in the second line of the main Austrian army under the command of Daun near Jaromirs. Daun was following up the Prussian army retiring through Bohemia after the failure of the Prussian invasion of Moravia.

On October 14, the regiment took part in the Battle of Hochkirch, where it was deployed in Buccow's cavalry column at the extreme right to the east of Kotitz. However, its horse grenadiers were part of the grenadier/carabinier division and were in the first line during the attack against the Prussian camp at Hochkirch. During this battle, the regiment lost 7 men.

In November, the regiment was at the siege of Dresden and then took its winter-quarters at Predlitz (present-day Přezletice/CZ) in Bohemia.

1759

In 1759, the regiment saw no major action. It began the campaign as part of the main army under the command of Field Marshal Daun, being attached, along with the Erzherzog Ferdinand Cuirassiers, to the brigade of FZM Pellegrini; while its horse grenadiers were attached to the Corps de Reserve. It initially operated in Bohemia and Lusatia.

By mid August, the regiment was part of Aynse's corps. On September 2, it took part in the combat of Sorau. In October, it was transferred to Saxony to assist the Reichsarmee encamped at Oschatz and later at Plauen.

From November 1, the regiment was posted in the vicinity of Elstra. It took its winter-quarters at Dresden.

1760

In 1760, the regiment rejoined Daun's main army. During a review on March 31, it had 5 field squadrons, 1 horse grenadier company, the depot company in Strassnitz and the reserve company in Laxenburg in Austria, for a grand total of 1,144 men. The horse grenadier company, led by Colonel Brugnetti, was attached ti d'Ayassassa's Corps. The regiment was under command of Colonel Hartenberg.

On July 19, the regiment was at the relief of Dresden. In August, it followed the main army to Löwenberg.

On September 17, the regiment took part in the Combat of Hochgiersdorf under the command of Count d'Ayasassa. In this combat, it contributed to the capture of 2 officers and 100 men. Meanwhile, its company of horse grenadiers captured 2 guns but lost alone 1 officer and 21 men.

On November 3, at the Battle of Torgau, the regiment had the occasion to distinguish itself. The day before the battle, it had been detached forward at Neiden but in front of superior forces it retired on the main army. It was then assigned to cover the artillery of the right wing under the command of General of Cavalry Buccow. Along with a detachment of Prinz Savoyen Dragoons and 2 squadrons of Buccow Cuirassiers, the regiment stood firm against the charges of the Prussian cavalry. The horse grenadiers of the regiment recovered a flag of Puebla Infantry, which had previously been captured by the Prussians. The regiment lost 26 men killed and Captain Count Auersperg, Lieutenant Czernovics and 29 men wounded. Captain Count Berchtold, Lieutenant Krauch and 63 men were missing or captured.

By the end of the year, the regiment had only 542 men fit for service.

1761

In January 1761, the regiment marched from Komotau (present-day Chomutov/CZ) to join the corps of FML Beck posted near Dohna in Saxony. By the end of March, this corps was stationed in Ditmannsdorf, Würschnitz and Medingen.

In the second half of May, the regiment defended the passes near Wartha in the Erzgebirge.

At the beginning of July, it joined back Lacy's Corps, which was observing the Prussian army on the right bank of the Elbe near Dresden.

The regiment spent the winter in Steinbach, Beerwalde and Gross-Dittmannsdorf in Saxony. The depot company (259 men with 380 horses) was still in Strassnitz, while the reserve company (around 70 men) had been posted in Vienna from June to October.

1762

In 1762, the regiment was part of Fürst Löwenstein's Corps. In the night of July 13 to 14, the Prussian General Kleist tried to surprise Löwenstein's cavalry in its camp.

On August 2, the regiment took part in the victorious 1762-08-02 – Combat of Teplitz (present-day Teplice/CZ), where it distinguished itself but lost 20 men. During the night of August 3 to 4, it repulsed the attack of Kleist near Einsiedel but lost again 20 dragoons and 22 horses.

From September 27 to 30, the regiment was part of the expedition of Count Hadik against Prussian advanced posts in the Erzgebirge.

On October 29, the regiment fought once more alongside the Reichsarmee at the Battle of Freiberg. Major von Graffenthal was captured and the regiment lost 18 men killed, 2 officers and 19 men wounded and 67 men captured or missing.

On November 24, the regiment retired to Bohemia and took its winter-quarters in the neighbourhood of Saaz (present-day Žatec/CZ).

1763

After the Treaty of Hubertusburg, on February 15, 1763, the regiment took its quarters in Neutra (present-day Nitra/SK) and Neuhäusel (present-day Nové Zámky/SK).

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1762 - Source: Richard Couture from a template by Jocelyne Chevanelle
Uniform Details
as per the Albertina Handschrift of 1762

completed with other sources where necessary
Headgear
Trooper black tricorne (no lace) with a black cockade fastened with a small yellow button
Grenadier bearskin with a yellow metal grenade in front and a red bag laced white with a white tassel
Neckstock black
Coat dark blue with 3 yellow buttons under the lapel on the right side
Collar none
Shoulder strap left shoulder: dark blue fastened with a yellow button
right shoulder: red with a red aiguillette
Lapels red with 7 yellow buttons
Pockets horizontal pockets each with 3 yellow buttons
Cuffs red with 3 yellow buttons
Turnbacks red
Waistcoat dark blue with two rows of yellow buttons and horizontal pockets (each with 3 yellow buttons)
Breeches dark bkue
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt white (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)
Waistbelt white
Cartridge Box black leather
Scabbard brown leather
Footgear black boots
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth dark blue laced with a wide white braid decorated with 3 smaller red braid (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)
Housings dark blue laced with a wide white braid decorated with 3 smaller red braid (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)
Blanket roll dark blue and white (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)


Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.

Other interpretations

The Bautzener Bilderhandschrift does not show any buttons on the lapels and cuffs. Furthermore, it shows buff breeches.

Officers

The officers (according to the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762) wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:

  • tricorne laced gold with a green and white cockade
  • gold aiguillette on the right shoulder
  • green saddlecloth and sabretache both laced and fringed in gold

Musicians

Drummers of the regiments of dragoons usually wore the same uniform as the troopers heavily laced with yellow and black braids or a uniform with inverted colours.

Standards

Leibstandarte: unknown

Ordinair-standarte: swallow tailed with gold fringes and gold embroideries

  • (variant 1): red
    • Obverse: 4 guns in the middle
    • Reverse: eagle
  • (variant 2): red
  • Obverse: imperial eagle
  • Reverse: landscape with a star spangled sky

References

This article incorporates texts from the following book which is now in the public domain:

  • Pizzighelli, C.: Geschichte des k. u. k. Dragoner_Regimentes Johannes Josef Fürst zu Liechtenstein Nr. 10, Vienna 1903
  • Thürheim, Andreas; Die Reiter-Regiment der k. k. österreichischen Armee, vol. 3 - Die Uhlanen, F.B. Geitler, Wien: 1866, pp. 220-272

Other sources

Brauer, H.M., Uniformbogen and Fahnentafeln, plate 95

Donath, Rudolf, Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979, Teil III Blatt 2

Funcken, Liliane and Fred , Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

Grosser Generalstab, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Hiller, Berlin, 1830-1913

Kornauth, Friedrich, Das Heer Maria Theresias: Faksimile-Ausgabe der Albertina-Handschrift, "Dessins des Uniformes des Troupes I.I. et R.R. de l'année 1762", Wien: 1973

Raspe, Accurate Vorstellung der sämtlichen KAYSERLICH KOENIGLICHEN ARMEEN zur eigentlichen Kentnis der UNIFORM von jedem Regimente. Nebst beygefügter Geschichte, worinne von der Stiftung, denen Chefs, der Staercke, und den wichtigsten Thaten jedes Regiments Nachricht gegeben wird., Nürnberg: 1762

Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989

Thadden, Franz-Lorenz v., Die theresianische Kavallerie - II. Teil, Die Zinnfigur, Klio, 1968

Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993

Zahn, Michael, Oesterreichische Kürassier und Dragoner Standarten in Siebenjährigen Krieges, Zusammenstellung, 1988