Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by Jacques-Luc Coulomb at Lorient and launched on October 25 1756. She belonged to the Compagnie des Indes, not to the Marine Royale. She entered service in March 1757.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in April 1758: captain de la Pallière
The ship was wrecked on April 29 1758.
Service during the War
In March 1757, the ship was commissioned at Lorient for service in India.
On January 27 1758, the ship was part of d'Aché's squadron which sailed from Île de France and made for the coast of Coromandel in India, transporting reinforcements under the command of Lally. Owing to the monsoon, it was much delayed. On April 28, the squadron arrived at daybreak into the roadstead of Fort St. David. The French squadron cut off the escape of the Bridgewater (24) of captain John Stanton, and Triton (24) of captain Thomas Manning, which were lying there, and which, to save them from capture, were run ashore and burnt. On April 29, while Lally was disembarking his troops at Pondicherry (actual Puducherry), the ship (with only 58 guns) was part of d'Aché's squadron who fought at the combat of Cuddalore. During the combat there was an explosion of powder on board. She managed to follow d'Aché back to Pondicherry after the engagement but, owing to the loss of her anchors and to damage to her cables, the Bien Aimé drove ashore and was wrecked; all her crew, however, being saved.
|Length at gundeck||168 feet (51.21 m)|
|Width||43 feet (13.11 m)|
|Depth||20 feet 6 in (6.25 m)|
|Displacement||1490 tons (1352 metric tons)|
Blasco, Manuel, Ship of the Compagnie des Indes, 3 Decks Wiki
Deschênes , Ronald; Vaisseaux de ligne français de 1682 à 1767, version Mai, 2001
Service historique de la Défense, Les mouvements au long cours des navires de la deuxième Compagnie française des Indes orientales
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.