Origin and History
The frigates was built by Thomas West at the Deptford Dockyard and launched on October 2 1741
In 1745, during the War of the Austrian Succession, the frigate cruised off Lisbon. In the following years, she captured several French privateers (the Saint-Pierre in 1746, the Brave in 1747 and the Piquenot in 1748.
In 1750, the frigate sailed to Cape Verde. In 1751, she was back on the Irish coast.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from February 1755: Captain Richard Watkins
- from March 1757 to March 3 1759: Captain Penhallow Cuming
The frigate was sold at Plymouth on December 20 1763.
Service during the War
On June 30 1755, the frigate sailed for South Carolina with Governor Lyttleton on board. Meanwhile, at the beginning of August, the French Admiral du Guay sailed from Cadiz to Brest, steering directly west from Spain into the Atlantic ocean to escape Hawke's Squadron. On the night of August 13 off Brest, du Guay met the Blandford. The frigate did what she could to get away and, even when surrounded, attempted some resistance but she was easily taken possession of and sent into Nantes. On September 20, the frigate was restored to the British.
On January 31 1756, the frigate sailed for the Leeward Islands.
On March 25 1757, the frigate captured the French privateer Triomphant.
|Guns||24 as of 1745
|Length||109 feet (33,22 m.)|
|Width||30 feet 10 inches (9.16 m.)|
|Depth||10 feet 1 inch (3,06 m.)|
|Displacement||430 ton BM|
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, p. 289
Harrison, Simon; Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail