Bombay European Artillery
Origin and History
The Bombay European Artillery was established in December 1748, when orders were received from Great Britain for the formation of a regular company of artillery in each presidency of the East India Company. The Bombay company was formed from gunners and infantrymen sent from England to serve under Boscawen. This company would consist of 116 men:
- 1 first captain and chief engineer
- 1 second-captain
- 1 captain-lieutenant and director of the laboratory
- 1 first lieutenant fire worker
- 1 second lieutenant fire worker
- 1 third lieutenant fire worker
- 4 sergeant bombardiers
- 4 corporal bombardiers
- 2 drummers
- 100 gunners
In 1755, two more artillery companies were formed in the Presidency of Bombay under officers of the Bombay European Regiment.
In 1759, the Bombay European Artillery became a separate unit.
Service during the War
no information available yet
In 1756, it was ordered that the uniform of the Madras European Artillery should be of the same pattern as that of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. We can reasonably assume that the same instructions applied to the artillery companies of the Presidency of Bombay.
|Coat||blue woollen coat lined scarlet and laced and edged yellow (plain yellow worsted braid); 3 yellow buttons and 3 yellow buttonholes under the lapels (same lace as above) at the waist; 3 yellow laces at the small of the back
|Waistcoat||blue edged yellow with 12 yellow buttons (arranged by pair) and 12 yellow buttonholes (same lace as above) with horizontal pockets edged yellow, each with 6 yellow buttons and 6 yellow buttonholes (same lace as above)|
|Gaiters||black with black buttons (white for parade)|
Fusiliers were armed with a musket and a brass-hilted sword. They also carried a dark brown haversack.
Gunners carried linstocks.
In 1770, the uniform is described as blue coar with scarlet facings, white waistcoat, white breeches, white gaiters, red leather belt, black silk stock and buff gloves.
Officers of the regiment wore the same uniforms as the private soldiers but with the following differences:
- gold lace instead of normal lace
- red waistcoat
- red breeches
- soft-topped jockey boots
Officers wore the same headgear as the private soldiers under their command but with a gold lace.
Officers of this regiment never carried spontoons. Instead, they carried fusils in the field. In the 1760s, the sword gradually replaced the fusil.
Sergeants had a broad gold lace on their tricorne and gold looping around the buttonholes of their coat and waistcoat. They also wore a gold worsted shoulder-knot, corporals two yellow worsted knots, and bombardiers one.
Only sergeants had halberds, the corporals and bombardiers were equipped with carbines.
According to the Royal Clothing Warrant of 1751:
- The drummers of the regiment wore the royal livery. They were clothed in red, lined, faced, and lapelled on the breast with blue, and laced with the royal lace (golden braid with two thin purple central stripes).
‘’no information available yet’’
This article contains texts from the following sources, which are now in the public domain:
- Carman, W. Y.: Indian Army Uniforms under the British from the 18th century to 1947 – Artillery, Engineers and Infantry, London: Morgan-Grampian, 1969, pp. 6, 34