Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1689.
The regimental inhabers were:
- since 1740: von Aldeleben
- from 1751: Fr. von Heimburg
- from 1757: Maximillan von Breidenbach
- from 1759: E. von Reden
- from 1761: G. von Walthausen
Service during the War
In July 1757, during the French invasion of Hanover, the regiment took part in the battle of Hastenbeck where two of its squadrons fought on the right wing in the second line all brigaded under the command of von Dachenhausen. The two remaining squadrons were deployed on the Schrecken Height between Afferde and Diedersen. On December 5, during the Allied counter-offensive in Hanover, the regiment was part of General Schulenburg's Corps. It attacked and routed a detachment of Chasseurs de Fischer supported by Caraman Dragons near Ebstorf.
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with the Allied Main Army of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the battle of Krefeld where it was deployed on the left wing under the command of Lieutenant-general von Spörcken. On October 10, the regiment took part in the battle of Lutterberg where it was placed in the second line of the right wing.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the Allied Main Army under the command of Duke Ferdinand. On July 28, he detached Schleiffen with 40 hussars and a party of Breidenbach Dragoons (200 men) to relieve the small garrison of Vechta threatened by the French. On August 1, the regiment was present at the battle of Minden in the first line of the cavalry right wing which was not engaged.
On July 31 1760, the regiment took part in the battle of Warburg where it was deployed in the third line of the centre between Ossendorf and Menne.
On February 15 1761, the regiment took part in the combat of Langensalza. On July 16, the regiment was present at the battle of Vellinghausen where it formed part of Wolff's Corps, detached by Spörcken from Herzfeld to reinforce Wutginau.
By May 23 1762, the regiment was attached to Luckner's Corps. On June 24, still part of Luckner's Corps, it fought in the battle of Wilhelmsthal. A few weeks later, om July 23, it took part in the second combat of Lutterberg.
Accurate Vorstellung der saemtlichen Churfürstl. hannöverischen Armee zur eigentlichen Kentniß der Uniform von jedem Regimente nebst beygefügter Geschichte, worinne von der Stiftung, denen Chefs, der Staercke und den wichtigsten Thaten jedes Regiments Nachricht gegeben wird Nürnberg: Raspe 1763 (Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Sachsen-Anhalt)
|Coat||white with 1 white button on each side in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||light buff edged light blue|
Troopers were armed with a Pallasch' straight steel hilted sword, two pistols, a musket and a bayonet.
Officers wore a yellow silken sash across the right shoulder; a silver gorget, a silver porte-epee; and silver lace on the tricorne. They did not carry a bandoleer.
NCO had silver laces on the cuffs, pockets, lapels and waistcoat. They did not carry a bandoleer.
Musicians were dressed in reverse colours and probably wore shoulder laces. The staff kettle-drummer probably carried NCO distinctives. His kettle-drums were made of copper and had a white apron fringed gold carrying a device consisting of the Springing White Horse on a red ground; the motto “EXEMPLA MAJORUM” above
As dragoons, musicians were drummers. The likely drum pattern would have been similar to the foot with hoops in alternating facing colour and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
The first squadron carried the Leibstandarte while the 3 remaining squadrons carried an Eskadronstandarte which varied from one squadron to the other.
Colonel Standard (Leibstandarte): white field with golden embroideries; gold fringe
- obverse: centre device consisting of the Arms of England within the Garter supported by a crowned lion and a unicorn; the motto “DIEU ET MON DROIT” underneath
- reverse: centre device consisting of a Lion Couchant holding a sword decorated with laurel and resting on a trophy of arms; the motto “PARTI TUERI” above
2nd Squadron Standard (Eskadronstandarte): blue field with golden embroideries; gold fringe
- obverse: centre device consisting of the initials “GR” within the Garter surmounted by a crown; the motto “DIEU ET MON DROIT” underneath
- reverse: centre device consisting of an arm holding a sword (entwined with laurel) issuing from a cloud; the motto “CUM DEO ET GLADIO” above (underneath as per Schirmer)
3rd Squadron Standard (Eskadronstandarte): blue field with golden embroideries; gold fringe
- obverse: centre device consisting of the Arms of England and Brunswick-Lüneburg joined by 2 intertwining palm trees and a chain; the motto “ET STIRPS ET AMOR JUNGEBANT” underneath
- reverse: centre device consisting of a column with even gold scales; the cipher “GR” at its base; a drawn sword resting on the column; a trophy of arms below the column and the motto “PRO LEGE ET GREGE” above
4th Squadron Standard (Eskadronstandarte): blue field with golden embroideries; gold fringe
- obverse: centre device consisting of the Arms of England within the Garter; the motto “DIEU ET MON DROIT” underneath
- reverse: centre device depicting St. George on a white horse fighting the dragon; the motto “VIRTUS ANIMI SUPERAT OMNIA” above
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Knötel, Richard: Die Uniformen des Hannoverschen Heeres 1763 und 1770. Part I : Das Heer von 1763, in: Mitteilungen zur Geschichte der militärischen Tracht, vol. XVI, no. 1-4 (1909), page 3-15
Knötel, Richard: Die Uniformen des Hannoverschen Heeres 1763 und 1770. Part II: Das Heer von 1770, in: Mitteilungen zur Geschichte der militärischen Tracht, vol. XVI, no. 4-5 (1909), page 15-20
Knötel, Richard: Die Uniformen des Hannoverschen Heeres 1763 und 1770. Kurze Stammliste. 1617 bis 1803, in: Mitteilungen zur Geschichte der militärischen Tracht, vol. XVI, no. 6-11 (1909), page 22-42
Lawson, Cecil C. P., A History of the Uniforms of the British Army - from the Beginnings to 1760, vol. II
Niemeyer, Joachim and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War; Deutsche Gesellschaft für Heereskunde
Pengel, R.D, Hurt G.R.: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Pengel, R.D, Hurt G.R.: Seven Years War. Brunswick-Luneburg (Hanover). Hessen Cassel. Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. Schaumburg Lippe. Supplement, Birmingham 1984
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Schirmer, Friedrich: Nec Aspera Terrent: Eine Heereskunde der hannoverschen Armee von 1631 bis 1803, Niedersächische Hausbücherei, Bd. 3, Hannover 1929