Origin and History
The frigate was built at Southampton and launched in 1744.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- 1756: captain Robert Bollard
- July 1756: captain Henry Smith
- 1757: ???
- April 1758: captain John Stanton
The frigate was burnt in 1758.
Service during the War
In 1755, the frigate was part of rear-admiral Watson's squadron which arrived at Bombay (actual Mumbai) in November. On December 31, she was sent, with the Kingfisher (14) and some of the East India Company's armed vessels, to cruise off the port of Geriah, the strong hold of the pirate Tulaji Angre (also known as Tollagee Angria).
In mid February 1756, she took part to the bombardment of Geriah which soon surrendered. In Mid July, when vice-admiral Charles Watson was summoned to Madras after the fall of Calcutta, the frigate was part of his squadron. In Mid October, she was part of the escort of the British expedition against Calcutta. By December 15, she was at Fulta with Watson's squadron. On December 30, the fleet advanced up to Alighur where Clive's force was disembarked. On January 2 1757, while Clive advanced on Calcutta, she was part of admiral Watson's squadron which engaged the enemy at Fort William. The troop of the nawab soon deserted the fort.
In 1757, the frigate was part of admiral Watson's squadron operating in Bengal. In March it took part to the expedition against Chandernagore.
On April 28 1758, a French squadron arrived near Fort Saint-David in India. It cut off the escape of the Bridgewater and of the Triton (24) which were lying there. To save them from capture, they were both run ashore and burnt.
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 181-184
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 143-144, 161-163
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy