Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1745 from the second battalion of Bourdon which had originally been raised for Bourdon in 1744. Bourdon, himself, deserted to the French in 1745 and his regiment was split into three regiments: Graf Kielmannsegg (later 12A), Brunck (later 12B) and Hohorst (later 13A).
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since 1745: von Brunck
- from 1759: von Estorff
Service during the War
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. The regiment was initially left at Rees under Major-General von Brunck to guard the bridgehead. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it fought on the left wing under the command of Spörcken, August Friedrich von|Lieutenant-General von Spörcken]].
For the campaign of 1759 in Western Germany, the regiment was part of the Allied Main Army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On August 1, the regiment took part in the Battle of Minden where it was deployed in the second line of the 4th column under Major-General Wissembach. Its brigade supported the surprise advance of von Spörcken’s Brigade.
In the night of July 24 to 25 1760, during the French campaign in Western Germany, as part of Spörcken's Corps, the regiment was forced to retire on Wolfhagen to avoid encirclement. Ferdinand immediately detached the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick to reinforce Sprörcken's Corps, harassed by a French Corps under the Comte de Broglie. Spörcken's Corps spent the night under arms near a narrow defile between Fishbach (unidentified location) and Wolfhagen, then Spörcken sent his cavalry in a wide turning movement of about 20 km around a hill. His infantry then passed the defile but before the Allied cavalry could join it, the rearguard (Post Infantry (1 bn), Estorff Infantry (1 bn) and 400 picquets) was attacked by French horse and foot. The Allied rearguard managed to gain a rising ground where it held for 2.5 hours till the arrival of Spörcken's cavalry (7 Hanoverian sqns and 2 Hessian sqns under Breitenbach). This cavalry attacked the French in flank and put them into confusion. During this action, the French lost about 1,000 men, the Comte de Vair was killed and the Comte de Belsunce and M. de Comeyras wounded. The Allied lost 200 men. A few days later, on July 31, the regiment took part in the Battle of Warburg where it was deployed in the first line of the right wing in front of Ossendorf under the command of Lieutenant-General Hardenberg.
|Voices from the Past|
|In February, 1761, an unknown soldier of the regiment was buried at Istha|
On February 15 1761, the regiment may have been present at the Combat of Langensalza but sources disagree. During the following campaign in Western Germany, on July 16, the regiment took part in the Battle of Vellinghausen where it was deployed on the right wing under the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick.
By May 23 1762, during the last campaign in Western Germany, the regiment was attached to the Corps of the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick operating in Westphalia. On August 30, the regiment took part in the Combat of Nauheim where it was attached to Lieutenant-General von Hardenberg's Column. Around 11:00 a.m., the regiment was part of those who passed the Wetter to attack the Johannisberg. On September 21, the regiment took part in the Combat of Amöneburg where 200 of its men, under Lieutenant-Colonel Wense, occupied the redoubt near the Ohm River while the rest of the regiment was with Zastrow's Corps occupying the ground immediately before the Brücker Mühle.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||grass green with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating green and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre. The belt was red laced light green.
Colonel Colour: white field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Colour: light green field, rocks emerging from the sea, clouds, lightening and gales, surrounded by palm leaves, surmounted by a Royal Crown, white scroll, motto TU NE CEDE MALIS, cyphers and crowns at the edges of the flag. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar