Campbell's Argyleshire Fencibles
Origin and History
The regiment was raised within Clan Campbell on July 21 1759. It was a new type of regular regiments: the “fencibles” who were destined to serve within the borders of Scotland for the defence of its territory. Indeed, the British Government did not wish to extend the militia system to the newly conquered Scotland. This new regiment counted 1,000 men.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- from July 21 1759 to 1763: John Duke of Argyll
The regiment was disbanded in 1763.
Service during the War
Throughout the war, the regiment assumed garrison duty in various parts of Scotland.
No details are known of the highlander uniforms of this regiment besides the fact that it had yellow facings.
No details are known of the colours of this regiment.
Campbell, Alastair : A History Of Clan Campbell: From The Restoration To The Present Day, Vol. 3, Edinburgh University Press: 2004, p. 191
Fortescue, J. W.: A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899