Origin and History
On 29 December 1702, during the War of the Spanish Succession, King Philip V asked the Province of Guipúzcoa to raise a tercio. This tercio was raised on 19 January 1703 for the “Maestre de campo” Don Tomás Idiaquez. It was designated as the “Tercio de Guipúzcoa” and consisted of 60 men in twelve companies. On 16 May 1703, the new tercio was reviewed for the first time at Salinas. It then marched to Madrid and finally to Cádiz. In February 1704, the tercio was transformed into a regiment designated as the “Regimiento de Guipúzcoa”. It joined the Army of Extremadura and took part in the invasion of Portugal and in the siege of Salvatierra, in the capture of Segura and Monsanto, in the attack on Castelo Branco, in the storming of the entrenched camp of Sárcedas and in the sieges of Portalegre and Castelo de Vide. In 1705, a detachment of the regiment took part in the defence of Albuquerque and the regiment was at the defence of Badajoz and Játiva; in 1706, in the capture of Alcántara; in 1707, in the siege and storming of Ciudad-Rodrigo; in 1709, in the Battle of La Gudiña and in the blockade of Olivenza; in 1710, in the storming of Carvajales. In 1711, the regiment was at the bombardment of Elvas. In 1712, it took part in the unsuccessful siege of Campo Mayor. In 1713, it escorted convoys between Barcelona and the camps of Tarragona, Cervera and Igualada. In 1714, the regiment took part in the blockades of Oliana and Solsona.
After the war, on 20 April 1715, the regiment incorporated troops of the disbanded “Regimiento de Vizcaya” and the “Regimiento de Alava”, the other Basque-named units. The regiment was then renamed “Regimiento de Cantabria”.
In 1718, the regiment embarked for Sicily where it took part in the sieges and capture of Termini and Messina. In 1719, it participated in the Battle of Francavilla. In 1720, it returned to Spain, landing at Barcelona.
In 1723, the regiment was sent to Navarra
In 1727, the regiment took part in the unsuccessful siege of Gibraltar. It then took up cantonments at Orihuela where it remained until 1732.
From 1732 to 1734, the regiment defended Oran in Algeria. In 1734, it was transferred to Ceuta before returning to Cádiz.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- no information available yet
The regiment was disbanded in 1960. Its heir was the Regimiento de Saboya (Savoy Regiment). Either legend or fact, the regimental black saltire pretended to be a Cantabrian or Asturian labarum, an ancient banner.
Service during the War
On 18 March 1761, the second battalion of the regiment embarked at Coruña for the expedition to defend Cartagena de Indias (present-day Cartagena, Colombia).
In 1762, while part of the regiment was serving abroad, the regiment was reorganised in Spain.
|Coat||white with white buttons on the right side
|Waistcoat||white with white buttons and horizontal pockets|
Armaments consisted of a musket, a bayonet and a sword (brass hilt).
The colonel, lieutenant-colonel sargentos mayores and officers carried a spontoon and an officer stick. They used to heng this stick at the second button of the coat. The type of handle of the officer stick was different for each rank:
- gold for the colonel
- silver for the lieutenant-colonel
- silver (but only one finger wide) for the Sargento Mayor and the captains
- ivory for assistants, lieutenants and for the chaplain
- wooden with a silver ring for sub-lieutenants
Sergeants carried a halberd instead of a spontoon. Fruthemore, their officer stick had no handle.
no information available yet
The coronela (colonel flag) of the regiment was white with a red Burgundian cross terminated in each corner by a medallion carrying the arms of the regiment (a black St. Andrew's cross on a silver field) surmounted by a golden crown. In the middle: the arms of Charles III surrounded by the necklace of the order of the Toison de Oro (Golden Fleece).
The batallonas (ordonnance flags) of the regiment were white with a red Burgundian cross terminated in each corner by a medallion carrying the arms of the regiment (a black St. Andrew's cross on a silver field) surmounted by a golden crown.
This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. XI, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 58-69
Album de Taccoli, 1759
État militaire (circa 1737-1750), Anne S.K. Brown Collection
Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda for the information and counselling provided for this article.
Juan for information on the origin and history of the regiment.