Origin and History
The regiment was raised on August 20 1715.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- in 1762: Dom Pedro Manuel de Vilhena
The regiment was disbanded on December 22 1807 and its troops incorporated into the 2nd Cavalry Regiment.
Service during the War
By August 20 1762, at the beginning of the campaign of 1762, the regiment was assigned to the corps operating in the region of Beira under the command of lieutenant-general Townshend. At the beginning of October, the regiment was part of the corps under the command of lord Lennox and Hamilton who had taken position on the Coa river to observe the garrison of Almeida. On November 3, the count of Lippe-Bückeburg testified of his satisfaction regarding 100 horse taken from the Voluntarios Reais and Chaves Dragoons who, under command of colonel Hamilton, had attacked and broken up a force of 200 Spanish cavalry, allowing general Townshend to recapture Penamacor.
No information found yet.
The exact pattern of the Portuguese colonel colours during the Seven Years' War is unknown.
The ordonnance colours were chosen by the colonel of the regiment. For the moment, we have found no source depicting specific colours for this regiment.
Amaral, Manuel, O Exértico Português em finais do Antiguo Regime
Kirby, Mike, The Portuguese Army - Seven Years War, Seven Years War Association Journal, Vol. XII No. 3
Pereira Sales, Ernesto Augusto; O Conde de Lippe em Portugal, Vila Nova de Famalicao: Publicacoes da Comissao de Historia Militar, 1936
Ribeiro Rodrigues, Manuel A.; 300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960, Exército Portugués and Sociedade Historica da Independéncia de Portugal, 1998
Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues and Joseph O'Neill for the information and counselling provided for this article.