Origin and History
The ship was built by Joseph Allin at the Portsmouth Dockyard and launched on June 4 1753.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from February 1755: captain John Brett
- from May 1756: captain Thomas Hanway
- from June 1756: captain William Saltren Willet
- from August 1761 to April 1763: captain John Elliot
In February 1779, the ship was transformed into a hulk in the harbour of Plymouth.
The ship broken up in October 1803.
Service during the War
On May 11 1755, the ship sailed from Great Britain to reinforce Boscawen who was trying to prevent the French reinforcement of Canada.
In January 1756, the ship was at Portsmouth for refitting.
On January 1 1758, the ship took the French privateer Actif.
On November 20 1759, the ship was present at the decisive battle of Quiberon who eliminated any serious threat from the French navy for the rest of the war.
On March 10 1761, the ship took the privateer Marquis de Castries in the Bay of Biscay. In April, she was sent as reinforcement to commodore Keppel who had undertaken an expedition against Belle-Isle. On November 27, she sailed for the Mediterranean.
|Length||160 feet (48,8 m)|
|Width||44 feet 9 inches (13,6 m)|
|Depth||19 feet 6 inches (5,9 m)|
|Displacement||1401 long tons (1423 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks Wiki – British 3rd Rates
Harrison, Simon; Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.