Origin and History
The regiment was created on October 4 1692 and took the name of the province of Barrois. On November 14 1713, the regiment was given to Louis_Armand de Bourbon, prince of Conty. The regiment was then renamed Conty.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served on the Rhine 1733 to 1735.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment was initially deployed on the Neckar in 1743. In 1744 and 1745, it served in the Alps. In 1746, it was stationed in Languedoc. In 1748, it was at Sospello.
The regiment counted two battalions.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 97th and was under the command of:
- since July 19 1744: marquis de Sailly
- from December 7 1759 to April 26 1764: comte de Laigle
Service during the War
In 1757, the regiment joined the Lower Rhine Army commanded by Maréchal d'Estrées. At the end of June, it was at the camp of Bielefeld with d'Estrées' main corps. On July 26, the regiment was at the battle of Hastenbeck where it was part of the right wing under d'Armentières. On August 16, the regiment was among the force sent by the Duc de Richelieu to occupy the Duchy of Brunswick who had submitted to the French domination. At the end of the year, it took its winter quarters in the second line of the French Army in the town of Hannover.
In February 1758, when Ferdinand of Brunswick launched his offensive, the regiment retired on the Rhine with the rest of the French army. From March 30 to April 4, it was in the first line of Clermont's army in the camp of Wesel on the Lower Rhine. In April, when Clermont redeployed his army along the Rhine, the regiment was stationed at Apeltorn and Marienbaum near Xanten. After the successful crossing of the Rhine by Ferdinand's army on May 31, it did not join Clermont's army at Rheinberg but was rather deployed at an unspecified location. On August 5, its two grenadier companies were detached from Cologne to form part of Chavigny's advanced guard and participated to the combat of Mehr where they were engaged in the fighting inside the village.
|Waistcoat||grey-white (blue in 1761)|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
Drummers wore a buff coat lined blue; blue cuffs, waistcoat and breeches; laced (as per the work of Beneton in 1739) with the white and blue (or entirely blue) braid of the House of Conty.
The colonel flag was white with a white cross. Ordonnance flags had a white cross with red and isabelle (coffee) opposed cantons. Ordonnance flags remained unchanged from 1713 to 1791.
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien, Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris: 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Service historique de l'armée de terre, Archives du génie, article 15, section 1, §5, pièce 23