Origin and History
The 44-guns frigate was built by James Taylor at Rotherhithe and launched on July 13 1747.
During the Seven Years' War, the fireship was under the command of:
- in 1759: commander Joseph Mead
The vessel was sold on July 17 1770.
Service during the War
In 1757, the ship was converted into a storeship.
In February 1759, this 18-guns storeship sailed from Spithead in Great Britain as part of the fleet destined for the expedition against Québec. The voyage was long and tedious. On April 21, when the fleet finally reached Louisbourg, it was to find the harbour blocked with ice, so that the fleet made for Halifax instead. The fleet finally sailed for Louisbourg in May. Between June 1 and 6, the fleet gradually left the harbour of Louisbourg and sailed for Québec. On June 23, Saunders' fleet made a junction with Durell's squadron at Isles-aux-Coudres. On June 26, the whole British fleet of vice-admiral Saunders was anchored safely off the southern shore of Isle-d'Orléans, a few km below Québec without loosing a single ship. Québec finally surrendered on September 18 1759. At the end of October, vice-admiral Saunders fired his farewell salute and dropped down the Saint-Laurent river with his fleet on his way to Great Britain.
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Guns||18 (as a storeship)
|Length at gundeck||not available|
Blasco, Manuel, Unrated 1714-1792, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.