Origin and History
The ship was built at Deptford in 1732.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the ship was sent to the East Indies in 1744. She was detached to operate in the strait of Malacca. In 1746, she escorted a convoy of merchantmen from India to great Britain. In 1747, she returned to India.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from 1755 to May 20 1756: captain John Amherst
- in 1759: captain John Hollwell
The ship was sold in 1767.
Service during the War
In 1756, the ship was part of a small squadron, under the command of captain George Edgecumbe, stationed at Minorca. When a French amphibious force invaded Minorca, this squadron managed to escape the French fleet on April 23, leaving the harbour after bringing in about ten captured French merchant vessels. It arrived at Gibraltar on May 2. The ship then joined admiral Byng's squadron which sailed from Gibraltar on May 8 to relieve Fort St. Philip besieged by the French. On May 19, the squadron came into sight of Fort St. Philip. The French fleet then advanced to meet Byng. On May 20, the ship took part in the battle of Minorca but Byng immediately ordered her to quit the line and she was not involved in the ensuing fight although she was ordered, late in the engagement, to replace the Intrepid in the line of battle. After the battle, Byng held a council of war and then gave orders to return to Gibraltar, abandoning Minorca to its fate.
At the end of May 1758, the ship was part of commodore Howe's squadron who, from June 1 to July 1, escorted the amphibious expedition against the French coasts. From July 31 to September 19 1758, she probably took part in the second expedition against the French Coasts.
On July 2 1759, the ship was part of the squadron of rear-admiral George Brydges Rodney who sailed from St. Helen's to destroy the flat-bottomed boats and the supplies which had been collected at Le Havre for the projected invasion of England. In the afternoon of Tuesday July 3, Rodney arrived in the bay of Le Havre and steered his fleet into the channel of Honfleur. On July 4 at sunrise Rodney began the bombardment of Le Havre and of the flat-bottomed boats. The bombardment lasted for 52 hours until July 6 at 8:00 AM and 1,900 shells and 1,150 carcasses were fired on the town. This attack totally destroyed any French preparations in this town for the invasion of England.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
“Battle of Minorca”. Wikipedia
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 146-160
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.