Diana (32)

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to navigationJump to search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Diana (32)

Origin and History

The frigate was built at Limehouse and launched on August 30 1757.

During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:

  • in 1758 and 1759: captain Alexander Schomberg

The frigate was sold out of the navy on May 16 1793.

Service during the War

At the beginning of 1758, the frigate was part of the fleet who assembled at Portsmouth under the command of admiral Edward Boscawen for the expedition against Louisbourg. Early in February, Durell sailed for Halifax in the Diana (32) to make the necessary local preparations for the arrival of the fleet. On June 8, the frigate supported the successful landing of the centre division at La Cormorandière near Louisbourg. Throughout the siege of Louisbourg, the fleet actively supported the British army and the fortress finally surrendered on July 26.

In February 1759, the frigate sailed from Spithead in Great Britain as part of the fleet destined for the expedition against Québec. The voyage was long and tedious. On April 21, when the fleet finally reached Louisbourg, it was to find the harbour blocked with ice, so that the fleet made for Halifax instead. The fleet finally sailed for Louisbourg in May. Between June 1 and 6, the fleet gradually left the harbour of Louisbourg and sailed for Québec. On June 23, Saunders' fleet made a junction with Durell's squadron at Isles-aux-Coudres. On June 26, the whole British fleet of vice-admiral Saunders was anchored safely off the southern shore of Isle-d'Orléans, a few km below Québec without loosing a single ship. On July 18 about 11:00 PM, favoured by the wind and covered by a furious cannonade from Pointe-Lévis, the Sutherland (50), with the frigates Diana (32) and Squirrel (20), 2 armed sloops, and 2 transports sailed safely up the Saint-Laurent and reached the river above the town of Québec. However, the Diana ran aground at Pointe-Lévis without much damage. On July 19 at 9:00 AM, these British vessels stationed above Québec attacked and destroyed the last French fireship and some small craft that they found at Anse-des-Mères. The town finally surrendered on September 18. At the end of October, vice-admiral Saunders fired his farewell salute and dropped down the Saint-Laurent river with his fleet on his way to Great Britain. However, he also left captain lord Colville in command of a small squadron, including this frigate, in North America.

To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762


Technical specifications
Guns 32
Gundeck information not available
Quarterdeck information not available
Forecastle information not available
Crew information not available
Length at gundeck information not available
Width information not available
Depth information not available
Displacement information not available


Blasco, Manuel, British 5th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki

Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy

N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.