Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Dublin (74)
Origin and History
The ship was built at Deptford dockyard and launched on May 6 1757.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1758: captain George Rodney
- in 1759: captain William Goostrey
The ship was broken up in 1784.
Service during the War
In August 1757, the newly launched ship joined the fleet assembling at Spithead under the command of sir Edward Hawke. On September 8, this fleet sailed. It escorted 45 transports carrying more then 7,000 foot for an expedition against an undisclosed French port of the Atlantic coast. The raid was finally intended against Rochefort but failed lamentably. On October 6, the expeditionary force, returned home with no tangible results.
On March 16 1758, Jeffrey Amherst, who was to command the military forces, sailed with captain George Rodney in this ship to join Boscawen at Halifax for the expedition against Louisbourg. This ship had been substituted as quickly as possible for the Invincible (74) by the admiralty. She finally joined Boscawen's fleet at Halifax on May 28. Being very sickly, the Dublin went on into port while Amherst transferred to the fleet.
In February 1759, the ship sailed from Spithead in Great Britain as part of the fleet destined for the expedition against Québec. She was the flagship of rear-admiral Charles Holmes. His squadron proceeded to New York to take on board troops destined for the expedition. On June 23, Saunders' fleet made a junction with Durell's squadron at Isles-aux-Coudres. On June 26, the whole British fleet of vice-admiral Saunders was anchored safely off the southern shore of Isle-d'Orléans, a few km below Québec without loosing a single ship. On July 9, the British frigates and the Dublin (74) of rear-admiral Holmes cannonaded the French left wing near the fall of Montmorency. The town finally surrendered on September 18. At the end of October, vice-admiral Saunders fired his farewell salute and dropped down the Saint-Laurent river with his fleet on his way to Great Britain.
On March 9 1760, the ship was part of rear-admiral Holmes' squadron who sailed from Gosport to escort a convoy transporting the 68th Foot (approx. 600 men) as reinforcements for the garrison of Guadeloupe Island. The squadron reached Barbados then sailed for Guadeloupe. On May 7, it anchored in the roads of Basse-Terre one of most important towns of Guadeloupe island.
To do: campaigns from 1761 to 1763
|Length||165 feet 6 inches (50,44 m)|
|Width||46 feet 6 inches (14,17 m)|
|Depth||19 feet 9 inches (6,02 m)|
|Displacement||1562 tons (1417 metric tons)|
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 227-232
Blasco, Manuel, British 3rd Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Wikipedia, "HMS Dublin (1757)"
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.