Origin and History
The original ship was built at Portsmouth Dockyard and launched in 1678 under the name of “Vanguard”. In November 1703, she sank in the Medway, she was then raised in 1704, rebuilt at Chatham Dockyard and relaunched in 1710.
The ship was rebuilt once more at Chatham Dockyard and launched in April 28 1739 under the name of “Duke”.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from September 1755: captain George Murray
- from July 1756: captain Samuel Graves
- from 1757: captain Thomas Hanway
- from 1758: captain James Norman
- from 1759 to 1762: captain Thomas Graves
- from November 1762 to 1763: captain Thomas Warwick
The ship was stricken off of the fleet and broken up at Plymouth (completed on August 13 1769).
Service during the War
In 1757, the ship carried the flag of rear-admiral Henry Harrison.
In 1758, the ship carried the flag of commodore Piercy Brett and served in Anson's fleet.
In 1759, the ship served in Hawke's fleet. On November 20, she part in the decisive battle of Quiberon. This British victory eliminated any serious threat from the French navy for the rest of the war.
In 1761 and 1762, the ship was assigned to harbour service at Portsmouth. In 1762, she carried the flag of vice-admiral Philip Durell.
|Length at gundeck||174 ft (53.0 m)|
|Width||50 ft (15.2 m)|
|Depth||20 ft 6 in (6.20 m)|
|Displacement||1625 tons (1651 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks Wiki – British 2nd Rates
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.