Origin and History
The ship was built by John Perry at Blackwall Yard in London and launched on January 15 1759.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1759: captain John Reynolds
In 1782, the ship was transformed into a hulk at Portsmouth.
The ship was sold in 1791.
Service during the War
In June 1759, admiral sir Edward Hawke sailed from England with a fleet of 25 ships of the line and many frigates to blockade or, more strictly, to observe the French fleet in Brest. He detached commodore John Reynolds, in the Firme (60), with a small squadron, to watch the French transports which had assembled in the river Morbihan in preparation for the invasion of Ireland. When at length the Firme (60) became very foul and had to go home to refit, she was relieved by the Rochester (50). In November, as soon as it became known in Great Britain that the French had sailed from Brest, the excitement was great and every effort was made to meet the situation. Orders were issued for guarding all coastal areas where the French were likely to make a descent. Troops were everywhere put in motion for this purpose. Furthermore, all ships of war in harbour were ordered out. The ship was part of rear-admiral Francis Geary's squadron detached to reinforce Hawke's fleet. However, Geary's reinforcements arrived too late to take part in the decisive battle of Quiberon.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||154 ft (47 m)|
|Width||43 ft 6 in (13.3 m)|
|Depth||18 ft 4 in (5.6 m)|
|Displacement||1297 long tons (1318 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, HBMS Firm (1759), 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.