Origin and History
The unit was created by an ordonnance issued by the Governor of the Spanish Netherlands on December 18 1694. In 1695, the unit was transferred to Spain.
In 1697, the unit took part in the defence of Barcelona until its capitulation, on August 10.
In December 1701, during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-14), the regiment was sent from Spain to Italy. In 1702, it took part in the Battle of Luzzara; in 1704, in the sieges of Vercelli and Ivrea; in 1705, in sieges of Verrua and Nice. In 1706, after the disaster of Turin, the regiment went to France and was soon redirected to Germany. In 1707, it took part in the storming of the Lines of Stollhofen; in 1708, in the Battle of Oudenarde; in 1709, in the Battle of Malplaquet; in 1713, in the siege of Freiburg. In September, it received orders to return to Spain. From 15 May to 11 September 1714, the regiment took part in the siege of Barcelona.
In June 1718, the regiment embarked in the port of Barcelona for the reconquest of Sicily. The same year, it took part in the siege of Messina. In 1719, it fought in the Battle of Francavilla. In 1720, after the loss of Messina, it re-embarked for Spain.
In 1721, the regiment joined the expedition in Navarra.
At the end of 1733, during the War of the Polish Succession (1733-35), the regiment embarked for Tuscany. In 1734, it fought in the Battle of Bitonto and took part in the siege of Capua. In 1735, a detachment participated in the sieges of the Castle of San Estephano, the Castle of Santa Catalina, the Castle of La Roca and Monte Filipo and of the places of Porto Ercole and Orbitello.
In 1736, the entire regiment returned to Spain.
In 1744, one squadron was sent to Lombardia where it remained until 1747.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- no information available yet
In 1763, the regiment was incorporated in Milán Cavalry.
Service during the War
|Headgear||black tricorne laced white with a black cockade fastened with a small white button|
|Coat||white a row of white buttons on the left side, 1 white button on each side in the small of the back and small white buttons on each side to fasten the basques
|Waistcoat||blue with white buttons and horizontal pockets each with 3 white buttons|
no information available yet
Musicians probably wore a uniform with reversed colours: blue coat with white facings.
Standards: blue field fringed in silver; centre device consisting of a silver field escutcheon with a bundle of arrows tied with a red ribbon.
Album de Taccoli, 1759
Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. XIV, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 445-447
Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda for the information and counselling provided for this article.