Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by Jacques-Luc Coulomb et Joseph-Louis Ollivier at Lorient and launched on August 30 1757. She belonged to the Compagnie des Indes, not to the Marine Royale.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- since March 7 1758: captain Étienne Lobry
- until June 30 1761: captain Pierre-Bernard Tréhouart de Beaulieu
- from July 1 1761 to September 25 1763: Jean-François de Surville
The ship wrecked in Fish Bay (South Africa) in September 1763.
Service during the War
On March 7 1758, the ship sailed for India.
In 1759, the ship was part of d'Aché's squadron who sailed from Île de France (actual Mauritius) to India. On September 10, she took part in the battle of Pondicherry.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1763
|Length at gundeck||156 feet (47.55 m)|
|Width||41 feet (12.50 m)|
|Depth||19 feet 8 in (5.99 m)|
Blasco, Manuel, Ships of the Compagnie des Indes, 3 Decks Wiki
Leplat, P., and Enguerrand; Histoire de la Compagnie des Indes et des Colonies d'orient
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.