Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by F. Coulomb in Toulon (France) in 1748. She was launched in 1750.
After her capture by the Royal Navy in 1758, the ship was renamed "H.M.S. Foudroyant".
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in the French service:
- in 1756: captain Forger de l'Aiguille
- in the British service:
- from February 28 1758 to ???: captain Carkett
- in November 1759: captain Richard Tyrrell
In 1787, the ship was striken off of the fleet.
Service during the War
In 1756, the ship participated to the amphibious expedition against Minorca. For this occasion, she was the admiral ship for M. de La Galissonière. On May 20, she took part to the battle of Minorca against admiral Byng's squadron where a French fleet prevented him to bring reinforcement to Fort St. Philip de Mahon.
In February 1758, naval operations in the Mediterranean had resumed and a French squadron under M. de La Clue, on its way for America, had been forced into the harbour Cartagena by a larger British squadron under admiral Osborn who then blockaded the harbour. The Foudroyant was part of a relief squadron under M. Duquesne. On February 28, off Cape de Gata, she was engaged by the Monmouth (64) later joined by the Swiftsure (70). The Foudroyant finally surrendered. The Hampton Court (70) joined the two other British ships of the line too late to participate to the action. Lieutenant Carkett of the Monmouth was deservedly rewarded with the command of the prize.
In November 1759, as soon as it became known in Great Britain that the French had sailed from Brest, the excitement was great and every effort was made to meet the situation. Orders were issued for guarding all coastal areas where the French were likely to make a descent. Troops were everywhere put in motion for this purpose. Furthermore, all ships of war in harbour were ordered out. The ship was part of rear-admiral Francis Geary's squadron detached to reinforce Hawke's fleet. However, Geary's reinforcements arrived too late to take part in the decisive battle of Quiberon.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length||177' (54.86 m) in French feet|
|Width||47' 6" feet (15.29 m)|
|Depth||22' 6" (7.23 m)|
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 291-295
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VI, Paris, 1891, pp. 3-19
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.