Graf Renard Uhlanen
Origin and History
The unit was created in late 1744 from a unit of Tatar Guards of the Principality of Kiev. Each pulk was comprised of a variable number of Hoffahnen. During the 1740s, a Hoffahn typically counted 71 men and consisted of:
- 3 officers
- 34 towarczys (Polish nobles)
- 34 pocztowi (privates).
For 1741, other sources give a different composition for a Hoffahn who counted 100 men:
- 1 Rittmeister
- 1 lieutenant
- 1 cornet accompanying the pocztowi
- 1 kettle-drummer accompanying the pocztowi
- 46 towarczys
- 46 pocztowi
In May 17 1745, the unit counted 8 Hoffahnen when it entered Silesia with the Austro-Saxon Army. On December 15, it was present at the Battle of Kesseldorf, together with the Belwedowsky, Rudnicki and Bertuszewski regiments under the command of von Sybilsky. In 1746, after the Treaty of Dresden (December 25 1745), the unit returned to Poland.
By 1757, the unit counted 603 men and 575 horses.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since 1750: Broninowsky
- from 1757: Renard
- from 1759: Schiebel
In 1764, the unit was transferred to the Polish Army and renames "5th Pulk Przedniej Straży (5th Pulk of the Forward Guard).
In 1792, the unit was involved in the Russo-Polish War and in the Kościuszko Insurection, taking part in the battles of Mir, Zelwa, Maciejowice and Praga).
Service during the War
By the start of the war all the Pulks stayed in Poland and did not participated in the Pirna campaign.
When the Saxon army was rebuilt in exile, the Pulk joined them in Hungary and operated with the Austrian army and then with the Reichsarmee from 1757 to 1762, mainly in scouting, raiding and skirmishing roles.
In 1758, the unit was with Daun's army at the relief of the siege of Olmütz. On June 17, along withLöwenstein Chevauxlegers and Dessewffy Hussars, under the command of the Count de Stainville, they routed the Bayreuth Dragoons near Gross-Wisternitz.
In 1760, the unit was attached to Lacy Corps. On July 20, during the relief of the siege of Dresden, along with the Esterhazy Hussars under Brentano, they evicted the Mohring Hussars from Leuben, coming close to the capture of Frederick the Great at the nearby headquarters on the Grune Wiese. At the end of September, the regiment also took part in the raid on Berlin raid under Brentano. It was active in raiding the countryside and sacked the Charlottenburg Palace with the Russian Cossacks. On November 3, at the battle of Torgau, the regiment was in outpost duty south of the city.
In 1761, the regiment was attached to Hadik's Corps as part of Daun's army in Saxony.
In 1762, the regiment was attached to Maquire's corps Maquire as part of the Austrian army operating in Saxony.
|Coat||White lined red half-long caftan.
|Breeches||Long, rather wide red trousers reaching to the ankles.|
Troopers were armed with a lance, a sabre and a pair of pistols. The two-pointed lance pennon is red with white triangles.
Black middlehigh furcap. White overcloth with very wide and long sleeves. A little, low red upstanding collar, red turnbacks and red lining. On the collar red-white laces and the same lace on the breast where was on the right side (of the middle) 4 x 2 gilded buttons. On the turnbacks which reached halfway down the thighs were in the same red-white lace the crowned AR. Red waistcoat with red-white lacing along edges. Red baggy trousers reaching to the ankles. White-red sash. Black boots without spurs. All bearded, but no pigtails. Red end-pointed saddlecloth with wide gilded border.
The pulks had kettle-drummers with brass kettle-drums.
Standards with a white cross on and four red squares; on the pole a gilded button.
- Vlad Gromoboy: Saxon Uhlans 1730-63. in: Nec Pluribus Impar, by J.L. Vial.
- Knötel, Herbert d.J.; Brauer, Hans M.: Heer und Tradition, Heeres-Uniformbogen 132-133, Berlin 1967
- Duffy, Christopher: By Force of Arms, Vol. II of The Austrian Army in the Seven Years War. The Emperor Press, 2008.
- Kessel, Eberhard: Das Ende des Siebenjährigen Krieges 1760-1763, comissioned by the (German Army) Research Departement of Military History [Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt – MGFA], edited by Thomas Lindner, Paderborn 2007 – the recent reedit of the missing volumes of the early 20th c. Großer Generalstab publications
- Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756 - 1763. Edited and published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg e.V., Magstadt, 1989
- Schuster, O.; Francke, F.A.: Geschichte der Sächischen Armee von deren Errichtung bis auf die neueste Zeit, Erster Theil, Leipzig 1885
- Wagner, Siegbert: Die Uniformen der kursächischen Armee im Jahre 1745, Manuskript, Hannover 1979
- Uniformes Prussien et Saxonne, 1756/57 (Deutsches Historisches Museum, Berlin)