Difference between revisions of "Grenadierbataillon Kurprinzessin"
(→Origin and History)
|Line 106:||Line 106:|
'''Leibfahne''': white field
'''Leibfahne''': white field wearing the Polish arms white red a blue , each corner with a .
'''Ordinarfahne''': blue field with wearing the Polish arms, each corner with a
|[[File:Grenadierbataillon Kurprinzessin Colonel Flag.jpg|frame|Leibfahne - Source:
|[[File:Grenadierbataillon Kurprinzessin Colonel Flag.jpg|frame|Leibfahne - Source: ]]
||[[File:Grenadierbataillon Kurprinzessin Ordonnance Flag.jpg|frame|Ordinarfahne - Source:
||[[File:Grenadierbataillon Kurprinzessin Ordonnance Flag.jpg|frame|Ordinarfahne - Source: ]]
Latest revision as of 16:00, 3 December 2019
Origin and History
The regiment was formed in 1748 from the grenadier companies of the 4 disbanded regiments of 2nd Garde, Jasmund, Allnbeck and Bellegarde. It initially consisted of 8 companies and was entitled a Grenadierbataillon. In 1749, it was reduced to 5 companies.
In 1756, the regiment was taken prisoner at Pirna.
In 1757, the regiment was reformed in Hungary. It consisted of 2 battalions raised among the rallied Referenten (troops who had deserted the Prussian army) and new recruits drawn from Bavaria. It served with the Saxon auxiliary corps with the French armies in all campaigns.
In 1763, the regiment was converted into a regiment of musketeers with 3 battalions in 14 companies, though, the regiment retained its grenadier sabres and the privilege to play the Grenadiermarsch. In 1778, it reduced to 2 battalions in 10 companies.
Seven Years' War Organisation
In 1756, the regiment consisted of 5 grenadier companies or 539 men. In 1757, it counted 8 companies formed in 2 battalions, as part of the Saxon auxiliary corps in the French service.
Chef of the regiment:
- 1748: Major-general Count Entremont de Bellegarde
- 1750: received the name Kurprinzessin (Princess Elector)
Kommandeur of the regiment:
- 1750: Colonel von Klingenberg
- 1756: Colonel von Flemming (became general inspector of the infantry in 1768)
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the battalion retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the battalion was deployed on the right wing as part of von Crousaz's 1st Grenadier Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The regiment was forcefully incorporated into the Prussian Army. However, since the grenadiers refused to take the oath to the King of Prussia, the regiment was not simply converted into a Prussian regiment. Its grenadiers were rather distributed among the Prussian infantry regiments.
In 1758, to avoid further contact with the Prussians, the reformed regiment marched through southern Germany and assembled in Strasbourg by July. On September 3 1758, it was part of the Saxon contingent, under the command of Prince Xaver, who encamped at Castrop, 15 km from Recklinghausen, on his way to make a junction with the French army of the Marquis de Contades in Westphalia. The contingent made this junction around mid-September. As part of Chevert's corps, it reinforced Soubise's army in Hessen. On October 10 1758, it first saw action at the battle of Lutterberg where its determined attacks decided the day for the French army. On October 20, the Saxon regiments rejoined Contades at Werl.
On April 13 1759, the regiment took part in the battle of Bergen where it formed part of the first line of the left wing under the command of the Baron de Dyherrn. In June, during the French offensive in western Germany, the regiment was part of the main army under the command of the Marquis de Contades where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry centre. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in the second line of the infantry left wing under the command of the Comte de Lusace.
To do: description of the actions of the regiment from 1760 to 1763.
Besides the uniform worn at the beginning of the war in 1756 and after the capitulation of Pirna, the new regiments were re-dressed with white uniforms from Austrian depots, just adapting the distinctive colors. Because of the difference between Autrian and Saxon color pigments, the distinctive colors have perhaps changed a little bit (medium blue instead of light blue ?).
|Coat||white with a brass button in the small of the back and 3 brass buttons at waist level (right side only)
|Waistcoat||light blue "bleu mourant" with horizontal pockets with 3 silver buttons and lapels with silver buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sword.
Officers and NCOs wore a black tricorne laced silver with a white cockade.
From 1761, officers of the grenadier companies wore black fur bearskin (Austrian style) with a gilt plate with the electoral crest; falling from the rear of the bearskin were golden cords and tassels while NCOs of grenadier companies wore bearskins identical to those of the grenadiers.
Officers wore blue breeches.
no information available yet
Leibfahne: white field wearing the Saxon-Polish coat of arms surrounded by rich white and red embroideries with a blue border, each corner was decorated with a flaming grenade.
Ordinarfahne: blue field with rich white and red embroideries wearing the Saxon-Polish coat of arms, each corner was decorated with a flaming grenade
Friedrich, Wolfgang, Die Uniformen der kurfürstlich Sächischen Armee 1683-1763, Dresden 1998
Geschichte des Koeniglische Saechsische 6. Infanterie-Regiments No 105, Leipzig, 1887. p. 418
Müller, Reinhold, Die Armee Augusts des Starken: Das Sächische Heer von 1730-1733, Berlin 1984
Origin and History: editors translation from "Geschichte und gegenwärtiger Zustand der Kursächsischen Armee." (History and present state of the Saxon Army.) 2nd edition, part IX, Dresden 1793.
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Wagner, Siegbert, Die Uniformen des kursächischen Armee im Jahre 1745, unpublished manuscript, Hannover 1979
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.