Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1648 and garrisoned at Rotenburg.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- since 1740: von Midachten
- from 1756: von Grote
- from 1759: von Laffert
- from 1762: de la Motte
Service during the War
In June 1759, the regiment was part of Wangenheim's Corps who had taken position at Dülmen in Westphalia to observe the movement of a French corps under the Marquis d'Armentières. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in Lieutenant-general Wangenheim's Corps between Kutenhausen and the Weser, in the first line of the infantry centre. It helped in the assault of the village of Todtenhausen on the right flank.
On July 10 1760, the regiment ook part in the combat of Corbach where it was deployed in the right column under Lieutenant-general Count von Kilmannsegg.
On February 15 1761, the regiment fought in the combat of Langensalza as part of General von Spörcken's Corps. On March 21, the regiment took part in the engagement of Grünberg where it was attached to the Corps of the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick. On July 16, during the battle of Vellinghausen, it belonged to Spörcken's Corps who remained at Herzfeld on the left bank of the Lippe and did not take part in the battle.
By May 23 1762, the regiment formed part of the Main Allied Army where it was attached to Colonel von Rhoedern's Brigade. On June 24, the regiment took part in the battle of Wilhelmsthal.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
|Waistcoat||gold yellow with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
N.B.: Some sources mention buff as the distinctive colour and yellow for laces.
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt) and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had gold lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in yellow.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating gold yellow and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Flag: White field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Flag: Yellow field. Wreath surrounds a lion bearing a sword and buckler above is a scrollwork which reads HAUD ANIMO TREPIDANS. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill, The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. d. J. and Hans M. Brauer, Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer Joachim, Ortenburg Georg, The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt, German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 1481