Hanoverian Foot Guards
Origin and History
The regiment was formed in 1678 and garrisoned at Hanover. In comparison to the other regiments it was an exception as it consisted of two battalions not one. However, there was only one regimental staff for the two battalions for a total of 1,620 all ranks.
The grenadier companies of these two battalions were permanently assigned to the guard of the headquarters.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- since 1740: von Ilten
- from 1756: von Sommerfeld
- from the end of 1760: August Friedrich von Spörcken
Service during the War
In the spring of 1756, the two battalions of the regiment joined the Allied reinforcement destined to Great Britain because the king feared a French invasion. On May 21, they arrived at Chatham. The regiment spent the rest of the year in Great Britain. At the beginning of November, it became clear that the Brunswick-Lüneburg (aka Hanover) was more seriously threatened than England and it was decided to sent the Hanoverian contingent back to the continent. Accordingly, the regiment marched out from the camp at Coxheath by Rochester up to Chatham. Contrary winds considerably delayed their departure. Finally on December 5, they re-embarked at Chatham to return to Germany.
From 1757, both guard battalions were usually assigned at the guard of the headquarters. On July 26, the regiment took part in the Battle of Hastenbeck where it fought in the second line of the left wing.
By mid February 1758, during the Allied winter offensive in West Germany, the regiment was part of a small Allied force who advanced through Lüneburg to Amelinghausen. In December, when the Allied army took its winter-quarters in Westphalia , the regiment was quartered in Münster where Ferdinand of Brunswick had established his headquarters. On May 26, the regiment was with Ferdinand's Main Force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was deployed on the left wing under the command of Lieutenant-general Spörcken.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the Allied Main Army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On August 1, it took part in the Battle of Minden where it was deployed in the first line of the 3rd column under Major-general Waldegrave. Misinterpreting orders, Waldegrave advanced straight upon the cavalry deployed on the left of the French centre. The first line of French cavalry (11 sqns) charged Waldegrave first line but was thrown back. The second line of French cavalry was equally repulsed though with more difficulty. Now the French reserve, consisting of the Gendarmerie de France and the Carabiniers, attempted a third attack upon the 9 brave battalions. It charged and broke through the first line of Allied infantry. However, the second line received them with a deadly fire and forced them to retire. The astonishing attack of the Allied infantry had virtually gained the day. On November 28, the regiment was part of the force under the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick destined to dislodge the Würtemberger Contingent from Fulda and then to reinforce Frederick II in Saxony. This force set out from Marburg and marched to Kirtorf. On November 29, the force marched to Angersbach and Lauterbach. On Friday November 30, this force launched an attack on Fulda, forcing the Würtemberger Contingent to retreat precipitously southwards on Bruckenau in the general direction of Frankenland and Württemberg. On December 18, the Hereditary Prince at the head of his corps arrived at Erfurt. On December 25, the Hereditary Prince formed a junction with Frederick at Leipzig in Saxony.
To do: campaigns from 1760 to 1763
|Coat||red with 2 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
|Waistcoat||blue with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 brass buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket, a sword (brass hilt) and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had gold lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder.
Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in yellow.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating blue and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: White field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments).
Regimental Colour: White field bearing the arms of Hanover.
Biles, Bill, The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel H., and Hans M. Brauer, Heer und Tradition
Knötel, R.: Uniformkunde, Lose Blätter zur Geschichte der Entwicklung der militärischen Tracht, Rathenow 1890-1921
Niemeyer Joachim, Ortenburg Georg, The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt, German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Sapherson Alan, A Basic Guide to Armies & Uniforms of the Seven Years War, No. 6 - Hanoverian
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 446, 1867, 5277