Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1671 and garrisoned at Dannenberg and Bleckede.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- since 1747: von Hodenberg
- from 1757: von Behr
Service during the War
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the Battle of Krefeld where it was deployed in the second line of the left wing under the command of Lieutenant-General von Spörcken.
In June 1759, the regiment was part of the main Allied army under the command of Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick. On July 27 in the afternoon, the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick set off from Petershagen, near Minden, with 6 bns, including this regiment, and 8 dragoon sqns, totalling some 6,000 men, and marched south-westward on Lübbecke to threaten the French left flank and the supply line between Minden and Paderborn. On August 1, the regiment was part of the centre of the corps of the Hereditary Prince who attacked and defeated Brissac's French corps at the engagement of Gohfeld.
For the campaign of 1760, the regiment served in the army of the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick. On July 10, the regiment was part of the Prince von Anhalt's Reserve at the Combat of Corbach. This reserve did not take part in the engagement. On the night of July 14, having intelligence that a French party (6 bns, Bercheny Hussards and some light troops) under General Glaubitz was on its way to Ziegenhain from Marburg, evidently with the object of disturbing his communications, Ferdinand detached the Hereditary Prince to take command of 6 bns (Behr (1 bn), Marschalk (1 bn), Mansbach (2 bns) and Hessian 2. Garde (2 bns)) which were lying at Fritzlar, and to attack Glaubitz whose forces had encamped at Vasbeck for the night. On the morning of July 15, the Hereditary Prince marched rapidly southward, being joined on his way at Zwesten (present-day Bad Zwesten) by Luckner Hussars and by the 15th Light Horse (under Major Erskine), which had just arrived from Great Britain. On reaching the vicinity of Ziegenhain, he found that Glaubitz was encamped farther to the west, near the village of Emsdorf. His troops being exhausted by a long march, the Hereditary Prince halted for the night at Treysa. On July 16 at 11:00 a.m., he posted the regiment in a hollow near Speckswinkel, 1.5 km before Erksdorf. The Allies captured most of Glaubitz's detachment in the Engagement of Emsdorf.
On July 16 1761, the regiment was present at the Battle of Vellinghausen but was attached to Spörcken's detachment who remained at Herzfeld on the left bank of the Lippe and did not take part in the battle.
|Coat||red with 2 brass buttons and 2 yellow buttonholes under the lapels (hidden by the sleeve in our plate)
|Waistcoat||orange with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 brass buttons|
N.B.: all textual sources indicate orange as the distinctive colour but graphical sources show a rather pale orange (almost buff).
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword (brass hilt) and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had gold lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in yellow.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating orange and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: white field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Flag: yellow field; centre device consisting of an armoured Roman with raised sword between two marble pillars which are connected by a chain on which dangle two laurel crowns and three laurel wreaths; the whole central scene surmounted by a scroll carrying the motto ANTIQUAE AVIDUS GLORIAE. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. d. J. and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer Joachim, Ortenburg Georg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel & Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar