Difference between revisions of "Hohenzollern Dragoons"

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "<small>Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Bavarian Army >> {{PAGENAME}}</small> ==Origin and History== To do...")
 
(Origin and History)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
==Origin and History==
 
==Origin and History==
To do: info on creation and history
+
At the death of Generalfeldmarschall-Leutnants Marquis de Maffei, his Infantry Regiment was awarded on January 7, 1730 to Generalwachtmeister Ossalco Graf Minucci, whose Dragoon Regiment Minucci passed on the same day to Generalwachtmeister Joseph Fürst von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. The regiment was composed of 10 companies of 60 men each.
  
At the beginning of the Seven Years' War, the regiment counted ? squadrons.
+
By order of August 30, 1747, the 10th Company had been dissolved in other companies. Under the new structure, three companies each formed 1 squadron. Each company had 15 manned horses, so that at any time a marching Squadron could be put together in full numbers. In August 1759, the number of horses in the cavalry was increased from 135 to 150.  
  
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:  
+
In October 1757, one mounted squadron in full numbers was composed (135 men). The remaining men from each company remained untouched for the duration of the war and took over garrison and security services within the country's borders. The mounted squadron was detached in June 1758 for security purposes to Mitterteich in the northern Upper Palatinate, while the regiment remained in garrison in Munich. The mounted squadron returned to the regiment on 30 September in Munich. In October 1759, the entire regiment was relocated to Schärding and Neuötting.
*????
+
 
 +
The successive regiment ''Inhaber'' were:
 +
*since January 7, 1730: Inspector General Joseph Prince of Hohenzollern to Sigmaringen and Behringen
 +
*from December 17, 1769: Major General Kaspar Count of Livizzani
 +
*from December 20, 1774: Lieutenant General of the Cavalry Franz Graf von Wahl
 +
*from November 21, 1791: Major General of the Cavalry Joseph Count von Fugger
 +
 
 +
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
 +
*since 1730: Colonel Karl de Balfleury
 +
*from 1763: Colonel Joseph Freiherr von Kilberg
  
 
==Service during the War==
 
==Service during the War==

Revision as of 08:30, 12 March 2019

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Bavarian Army >> Hohenzollern Dragoons

Origin and History

At the death of Generalfeldmarschall-Leutnants Marquis de Maffei, his Infantry Regiment was awarded on January 7, 1730 to Generalwachtmeister Ossalco Graf Minucci, whose Dragoon Regiment Minucci passed on the same day to Generalwachtmeister Joseph Fürst von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. The regiment was composed of 10 companies of 60 men each.

By order of August 30, 1747, the 10th Company had been dissolved in other companies. Under the new structure, three companies each formed 1 squadron. Each company had 15 manned horses, so that at any time a marching Squadron could be put together in full numbers. In August 1759, the number of horses in the cavalry was increased from 135 to 150.

In October 1757, one mounted squadron in full numbers was composed (135 men). The remaining men from each company remained untouched for the duration of the war and took over garrison and security services within the country's borders. The mounted squadron was detached in June 1758 for security purposes to Mitterteich in the northern Upper Palatinate, while the regiment remained in garrison in Munich. The mounted squadron returned to the regiment on 30 September in Munich. In October 1759, the entire regiment was relocated to Schärding and Neuötting.

The successive regiment Inhaber were:

  • since January 7, 1730: Inspector General Joseph Prince of Hohenzollern to Sigmaringen and Behringen
  • from December 17, 1769: Major General Kaspar Count of Livizzani
  • from December 20, 1774: Lieutenant General of the Cavalry Franz Graf von Wahl
  • from November 21, 1791: Major General of the Cavalry Joseph Count von Fugger

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:

  • since 1730: Colonel Karl de Balfleury
  • from 1763: Colonel Joseph Freiherr von Kilberg

Service during the War

To do: participation in the SYW

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 17?? - Source: Frédéric Aubert
Uniform in 17??
Headgear black tricorne (?no lace?) with a ?black cockade? fastened with a small ?white? button and ?white within red pomponm?

N.B.: for combat, the tricorne was reinforced with an iron cap

Neckstock ?black?
Coat ?blue? with ?2 white buttons? under the lapel and ?3 white buttons? on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Collar ?red?
Shoulder strap ?left shoulder: blue fastened with a white button?
right shoulder: ?white with a white aiguillette?
Lapels ?red with 6 white buttons grouped 2 by 2?
Pockets ?horizontal pockets each with 2 white buttons?
Cuffs ?red with 2 white buttons?
Turnbacks ?red?
Waistcoat ?straw yellow with one row of small white buttons and horizontal pockets, each with white buttons?
Breeches ?buff?
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt ?white?
Waistbelt ?white?
Cartridge Box ?black leather?
Scabbard ?brown leather?
Bayonet scabbard ?brown leather?
Footgear ?black boots?
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth ?red with pointed corners; bordered with a wide white braid decorated with 2 thin blue braids?
Housings ?red pointed housings; bordered with a wide white braid decorated with 2 thin blue braids?
Blanket roll ?blue?


Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.

Officers

 To do: peculiarities of the officer uniform if known

Musicians

 To do: peculiarities of the musician uniform if known

Colours

?Standards were made of damask. They were swallow-tailed and measured some 50 cm along the pole, 65 cm from the pole to the extremity of a point and 50 cm from the pole to the centre of the indentation. The cords and knots were of silver threads. The pole of the standard was a black tournament lance reinforced with iron hinges. The finial was ???.

Colonel Standard (Leibstandarte): field, fringe, centre device, scroll with motto, corner devices. Embroideries in ?gold/silver?. Squadron Standard (Eskadronstandarte): field, fringe, centre device, scroll with motto, corner devices. Embroideries in ?gold/silver?.
Colonel Standard – Source: Frédéric Aubert
Squadron Standard – Source: Frédéric Aubert

References

To do: list sources