Origin and History
The ship was built by Pierre Morineau in 1752 in Rochefort and launched in 1755.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1755: M. de Guébriant
- in November 1759: Captain Tancrede de Caumont
The ship was wrecked in 1759 after the battle of "Les Cardinaux".
Service during the War
In 1755, the ship took part to the expedition to reinforce Canada.
In November 1759, in preparation for the planned invasion of England, the ship set sail for Quiberon Bay with the Brest Fleet. On November 20, she took part in the battle of Quiberon where she was attached to the third division, under the Chef d'escadre Saint-André-du-Verger, who assumed most of the fighting. After the defeat, on November 21 and 22, by taking advantage of the flood tide and of what wind there was under the land, the ship along with 6 other ships of the line and 4 frigates, which were near the mouth of the Vilaine, got into the river. However, the ship was later wrecked in this river.
|Crew||500 (540 at Quiberon)|
|Length||148 feet (45.11 m)|
|Width||40,6 feet (12.37 m)|
|Depth||20,9 feet (6.37 m)|
Deschênes, Ronald, Répertoire des vaisseaux de ligne français 1682-1780
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.