Origin and History
This third guard regiment, the Izmáylovskiy Leib-Guard, was created by decree of Empress Anna Ioannovna on September 22, 1730. It consisted of three battalions and 1 grenadier company, following the organisation of the Semyonovskiy Leib-Guard. The formation of the regiment was caused by the desire to form a counterweight to the Preobrazhenskiy Leib-Guard and Semyonovskiy Leib-Guard, who wanted to see the daughter of their founder, Elizabeth Petrovna, on the throne. The regiment was formed in Moscow and named after the village of Izmailovo, the ancestral manor of the Romanovs, which was also the favorite summer residence of Empress Anna. The first colonel and commander of the regiment, Karl von Löwenwolde, was instructed to recruit officers for the regiment from the Germans of the Baltic. Privates were recruited from the Ukrainian land militia, and the non-commissioned officers from the regular infantry line.
The regiment first saw active service during the Russian-Turkish War of 1735-1739 (1735-1739), when a battalion led by Lieutenant-Colonel Gustav von Biron joined the army of Field Marshal Burkhard Christoph von Münnich. This battalion was the first Russian unit to enter the Turkish fortress of Ochakov.
At the beginning of the Seven Years War, the regiment (totalling 2,536 men including 327 non-combatants) consisted of:
- Senior Staff (6 officers)
- Junior staff
- 3 officers
- 265 non-combatants
- 3 battalions, each of these battalions (totalling 16 officers, 664 men and 20 non-combatants) consisting of:
- 4 musketeer companies (of 210 men each)
- 1 grenadier company (200 men)
- 1 artillery command with 8 x 3-pdrs guns (each including 2 x 6-pdr mortars affixed to its carriage) only six 3-pdr guns according to the work of the Grosser Generalstab
During the Seven Years' War, the successive nominal commanders of the regiment were:
- from November 25, 1741: Empress Elizabeth Petrovna
- from December 25, 1761 to June 9, 1762: Emperor Peter III
During the Seven Years' War, the successive lieutenant-colonels of the regiment were:
- from September 5, 1748 to November 15, 1796: Field Marshal General Count Kirill Grigoryevich Razumovskiy
Service during the War
During the entire Seven Years War, the regiment was stationed in Saint Petersburg.
In 1757, three sergeants, 15 captains and 12 NCOs of the regiment volunteered to join Schuvalov’s Observation Corps. They were all promoted upon incorporation in this corps.
|dark green with 9 golden buttons on the right side on the chest and 2 golden buttons (one on each side) in the small of the back
|long sleeved red waistcoat with 9 golden buttons and with 2 en patte d'oie pockets each with 3 golden buttons, small green collar and green cuffs
|black leather with 10 large buttons covered with black fabric (white for parade)
During winter, guard units wore knee-length dark green cape.
Rank and file were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sabre.
NCOs wore the same uniform as the privates, but were distinguished by gold laces on their tricorne, collar, and cuffs, more precisely:
- sergeant: gold laces on cuffs (in 3 rows) and collar
- fourrier, master-at-arms and sub-ensign: gold laces on cuffs (in 2 rows) and collar.
- corporal: gold lace on collar
NCOs of grenadier companies were wearing the same mitre hats as rank and file, but with another plumes combination: • sergeant: 15 white plumes on the top and mid, 15 red around
- corporal, fourrier, master-at-arms and sub-ensign: 12 white plumes on the top and mid, 12 red around
Sergeants, master-at-arms and corporals still kept halberds.
Musketeer officers wore a gold laced tricorne. Grenadier officers wore a grenadier mitre hat, similar to that of grenadiers, but with a richer decorated front plate framed on the edge with a gilded rim, with 42 white ostrich plumes.
The coat of the officer was similar to that of rank and file, but with a gold laced green collar and lateral pockets closed by flaps en patte d’oie with 3 golden buttons each. Generally officers wore their coat with opened turnbacks. They also wore white cravates, green breeches and beige gloves.
Officers wore a gorget with the engraved X symbol surrounded by a wreath and with a crown on top. For officers from ensign to captain, the gorget was silver-plated; for majors, lieutenant-colonel and colonel, it was gilded.
Officers carried a musket in action, and spontoons with crowned Elizabeth monogram or crowned oval with wreathed crucifixion of St. Andrew. They also carried a sword suspended to a leather belt covered with red or crimson velvet and edged with gold braid.
The cartridge box of the officer was edged in gold. Often the officers carried the gold silk sash over the left shoulder. Grenadier officers have the same grenade bags over the right shoulder as rank and file, but made of gilded brass and with a leather belt covered with red or crimson velvet and edged with gold braid.
Leibkompanie’s officers carried shoulder-belt cartridge-boxes covered in red velvet, with EP and weapons and grenades trophies embroidered on the lapel, bandoleer were made in gilt mail. Similarly the lyadunka was in red velvet, lined by a golden edge, trophies and grenades. Officers of other companies had a red leather cover to protect and decorate the patronna sumka.
The saddlecloth and holsters were red with round posterior corner, edged with one or two gold stripes (the inner stripe broader then the outer), as rank distinction. EPI ciphers on the corner and holsters.
Officers wore a black and yellow (higher ranks - black and gold) silk sash.
Company musicians (drummers and fifers) wore the same uniform as privates with swallow nests on shoulders and braids on cuffs, pockets and collar.
Regimental musicians (oboists) wore the same uniform as privates with braids on cuffs, pockets and collar. Buttonholes and buttons were laced. Each sleeve was decorated with four chevrons with two wide drummer laces on each side.
The Drum Major had a gold edge on his tricorne, and gold braids on cuffs and collar.
Drums were made of copper, the state coat of arms (Imperial Eagle) was engraved in the front, bordered in red and green, green and white cords.
Important notice: Even though our illustrations depict yellow laces, the colour of the braids on the uniforms of the musicians according to Zvegintsov were red with yellow bordered “XXXX” in the middle.
Since 1741, all guard musicians also had red ceremonial uniforms, similar to ordinary ones, but with gold laces.
The colours had a gold finial and silver cords and tassels. They weremounted on a 3,35 m. white wooden pole. The three Guard regiments had colours of similar design. However, the distinctive colour of each regiment (green in the case of Izmailovskiy) was used on the outer border and the part wrapped around the flagpole.
Moreover, the colonel colour seems to have more gilding than the ordonnance colour.
A fourrier also had a fanion (a small company flag), which was made of white silk fabric trimmed with colored ribbons around the edges, and in the middle were written in gold or silver threads the abbreviated name of the regiment and the company number.
Viskovatov, A.V.: Historical review of the Life Guar Izmailovskiy Regiment. 1730-1850
Novitskiy, V. F.: Izmailovksiy Leib-Guard Regiment in Military Encyclopedia
Unknown author: A brief history of the Izmailovskiy Leib-Guard Regiment
Funcken, L. and F., Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 4 Groß-Jägersdorf und Breslau, Berlin, 1902, Anlage 1
Pengel and Hurt, Russian Infantry of the Seven Years War, Birmingham, 1976
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Viskovatov, A. V., Historical Description of the Clothing and Arms of the Russian Army, vol. 3, Petersburg: 1900
Znosko-Borovsky, N.; History of the Izmaylovskaiy Leib-Guard Regiment; Sankt-Peterburg, 1882
Carlo Bessolo for the initial description of the uniforms
Tomasz Karpiński for the additional information on the service of this regiment from 1756 to 1763
Daniel Milekhin for a major update of the article