Origin and History
On October 15 1756, when the Saxon Army surrendered to Frederick II near Pirna, the Saxon infantry was forcefully incorporated into the Prussian Army, former Prinz Xaver Infantry thus becoming Infanterie-Regiment (Nr. 57) Jung-Braunschweig-Bevern.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since December 26 1756: Major-General Karl Duke of Braunschweig-Bevern
Service during the War
In October 1756, the regiment was assigned to the garrisons of Krossen and Kottbus.
Respectively on March 28 and 30 1757, the 2nd and 1st battalions mutinied and escaped to Poland. However, the regiment was soon re-established with new levies. On November 12, the new 1st battalion capitulated at Schweidnitz while the new 2nd battalion was lost on November 25 during the retreat from Breslau.
N.B.: the grenadiers from the wing grenadier companies were put together with the grenadiers of Manstein Fusiliers, forming the S-53/S-57 Diezelsky Grenadier Battalion (please refer to this article for the details of the service of the grenadiers during the war).
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red, 6 yellow buttons grouped 2 by 2 on the chest and 3 yellow buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket, a bayonet and a sabre with a curved blade.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- no shoulder straps
- gold laced cuffs
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a half-pikes measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.37 m.) in the fusilier companies and 13 Rhenish feet (4.10 m.) in the grenadier companies (carried by the 3 most senior NCOs while other grenadier NCOs were armed with rifled muskets since 1744).
NCOs also carried canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
Officers carried spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.).
Colonel Colour (Leibfahne): White field with a yellow flamed cross. Centre device consisting of a light blue medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. The medallion is decorated with a black eagle surmounted by a white scroll bearing the golden motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Corner monograms (crowns, laurel wreaths, ciphers) and grenades in gold.
Regimental Colours (Kompaniefahnen): light blue field with a yellow flamed cross. Centre device consisting of a white medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. The medallion is decorated with a black eagle surmounted by a light blue scroll bearing the golden motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Corner monograms (crowns, laurel wreaths, ciphers) and grenades in gold.
Gavan, Dal: Colours of the Saxon regiments in the Prussian service
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, p. 125
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.