Origin and History
The ship was built in Rochefort, starting in January 1724, and launched in September 1725. She was first commissioned in 1726. It originally mounted 74 guns.
In 1752, the ship was re-armed as a 70-guns ship.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in November 1759: Captain François de Saint Allouarn
The ship ran aground and was wrecked at the mouth of the Loire River on November 21 1759.
Service during the War
In November 1759, in preparation for the planned invasion of England, the ship set sail for Quiberon Bay with the Brest Fleet. On November 20, she took part in the battle of Quiberon where she was attached to the third division under the Chef d'escadre Saint-André-du-Verger who assumed most of the fighting. After the defeat, during the night of November 20 to 21, the ship sailed for the Loire, ran aground at the mouth of the river and was wrecked. Only 2 officers and around 100 men survived. The captain perished.
|Crew||7 officers and 550 men (at Quiberon there were 630 men also 140 coastguards on board)|
|Length at gundeck||49.48 m|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.